Friday, September 08, 2006

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

OK, I admit it, I have OCD. I went through a spell of it in junior high, and it came back several years ago. Here are some excellent passages from Growing Girls by Jeanne Marie Laskas:
"An excessive sense of responsibility, I read, is at the root of obsessive-compulsive diosorder." "Normal people sometimes need to double-check themselves. OCD people have to quintuple-check, over and over again. An excessive sense of responsibility is said to be at the root of this. And what it comes down to is this: you think you're more important than you are. You think your actions matter more than they actually do. Despite what you believe, you are just not that critical to keeping the earth spinning on its axis".
This is brilliant! This is exactly my problem! My brain tells me that if I don't check something a certain number of times, something bad will happen. Like if I don't check the stove a certain number of times, my car will break down that day. If I don't touch that manila folder an even number of times, my summer will suck. I try to tell myself that my brain is in me, that I control my brain, but still I do this stuff. Say and learn: I do not control the universe.

No comments: