Monday, December 08, 2014

So, a cockatoo and a macaw walk into a bar ...










Saturday night, I went to a fundraiser for a local bird rescue.  I'm not real big on birds, but the fundraiser was at a bar, so you'd better believe I was there.   Ha.





I once knew a woman whose parrot bit off her husband's thumb.  No lie.  So there was no way I was letting those giant beaks anywhere near ME.  These bird people are insane.





Sorry for the dark pics.  Did I mention the fundraiser was at a bar?  Hell yeah.





All kidding aside, it was a lot of fun, and for a good cause.  Big birds live, like, forever, so they sometimes outlive their original owners.  Plus, they're really smart, no really, and sometimes people buy them without understanding that they need a lot of interaction to thrive.  So this local rescue takes in birds in need, rehabilitates them, and finds them new homes.





The birds did not seem to mind being in a bar at all.  And when the music started up, this dude got his dance moves on:





He was rocking out to the band.  Good times!  and good birds.



4 comments:

~~Silk said...

The first photo stopped me - the little lady on the far left is a stone cold ringer for my daughter! Even to the hair and glasses.

I sometimes think a bird would be nice, but then I realize
- they're too loud
- I wouldn't provide the attention they need
- you can't potty train them.
A pair of finches is my speed.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, ARE YOU MY MOTHER?! (The little lady is me.)

I would love to have finches. But with all the cats ... well, I'm not sure it would be such a great idea for the birds.

~~Silk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~~Silk said...

I tried to insert a photo above. Didn't work. Check my blog post for today.

I've seen several photos of you, mostly on your walks, and never noticed a resemblance, but in this one it was striking. So I went to my photos of Daughter to find something close, and it was difficult. Daughter rarely looks at the camera and smiles. The resemblance to this photo of you is more in real life than photos.

I find that people often have periods of intersection: My mother went through a few years as a Jane Wyman double. In my late 30s I could have traveled on Gloria Steinem's passport.

I've had finches with cats with no problem - key is height and placement of the cage. Mice and hamsters were a different (and sad) story.