Tuesday, October 09, 2012

What Blogland has taught me

1. People will sell out for an amazingly small amount of money and/or fame.

2. There are a lot of drama queens out there. A LOT.

3. See also: Hypochondriacs.  Holy macaroni.

4. People are often not what they seem.

5. There are an awful lot of bloggers who think they can write a book. Well, sure, they can write it, but will it be any good? Results vary, here.

6.  There are entire sites dedicated to ripping apart other sites.  (Yes, I KNOW I did a post about Dooce's divorce.  It was ONE POST, people, not an entire website.)  So be aware that whatever you put out there, someone may mock it or laugh at it or tear into it.  Publicly.  It's all fair game in blogland.  (See:  My Dooce post, which is STILL getting vicious comments. *sigh*)

7.  There are some amazingly talented bloggers out there.  People whose blogs put my little blog to shame.  Does that mean I'm gonna stop writing?  HELL NO.

How about you?  Anything you've learned in the mighty Land of Blog?  Oh!  And I could use a little help, here.  I'm always looking for new stuff to read, so if you know of a really great blog, including your own, feel free to pimp it in the comments.  A favorite recent find of mine is Simian Idiot.  How about you - Are you reading (or writing) any good stuff?  Enquiring minds want to know.


5 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

People love to lurk. Generally, my posts over time get about 30 visits (according to Blogger stats), but I'm lucky if I can get one comment.

rockygrace said...

ha, Kate, I lurk at your place all the time. Oops. When I'm reading blogs, sometimes I find it hard to leave something interesting as a comment. I'd rather not say anything than say something stupid. I DID comment today, though! :)

Domestic Kate said...

I saw it :) To be fair, I lurk here too. But I DO comment...sometimes. Every time I post, I link to it on facebook, and I have a bunch of people who like or comment on the facebook link, but they won't actually go to the blog and comment. It's frustrating. I hate what facebook has done to us.

I also wanted to pass along a blog that I've linked a couple times on my blog: www.poorgirleatswell.com. While I don't "follow" her recipes, they give me good ideas, and I appreciate the reminder that cooking at home saves SO much money.

I need some new blogs to read too.

~~Silk said...

I used to follow a lot of well-written thoughtful or funny "my life"-type blogs, but one by one most of those people have dropped out of the blogosphere. I haven't gone looking for more. Most of the ones I follow now are train wrecks (can't look away), comics, or political and news commentary.

Some examples:

Field Negro - an attorney in Philadelphia, socio-political "slaps upside the head": http://field-negro.blogspot.com/ Don't ever read the comments on his blog. He gets some really nasty and crazy trolls.

Free-Range Kids - campaign against helicopter parenting, rants against CPS folks who think letting your kid walk to the corner is endangerment - http://www.freerangekids.com/

Karl Webster - a Brit, author of "Bete de Jour", moved into a tiny falling-down cabin in Limousin, France for a year, he's a little bit nuts. http://karlwebster.com/

Michael J. Totten, journalist, mid-east affairs, viewpoints & opinions. http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blogs/michael-j-totten

Mrs. Linklater's Guide to the Universe - she used to be very interesting and is still amusing, but I think she's slowing down a bit, like me maybe, running out of things to say. http://mrslinklatersguidetotheuniverse.blogspot.com/

WSJ Law Blog - Supreme Court doings and other law news. I get the feeds so I don't read everything, just the posts that interest me. http://blogs.wsj.com/law/

XKCD - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. http://xkcd.com/

rockygrace said...

thanks for the suggestions, ~~Silk!