Monday, October 08, 2012

The Mighty Hunter


Wha ... what's that in his MOUTH, you ask?

It's a mole.

Evidently my backyard is chock-full of easy-to-catch prey.  Last week it was bird-on-bird action.  Today let's talk about Soda and the moles.

Sodapop LOVES to hunt. He does it all the time. And brings me the spoils.

Um ... thanks?

My neighbors love Soda, because he is methodically eradicating the moles that inhabit our adjoining backyards.

Soda hunts mice, too. Lots of mice. Although lately the take has been slowing; evidently, natural selection is at play and he's caught all the dipshits. Now he's gotta move up in the ranks, where the game gets tougher.

And even though he hunts, he doesn't eat anything he catches.

That's what Tinks is there for.

It's like a tag team. A while back, Soda had brought a mouse into the kitchen and was playing with it. Tinks waited until he was distracted, then grabbed the mouse and headed for the living room, where he started to chow down.

Not on the rug, Tinks!

I grabbed the mouse and put it out in the garage, figuring I'd take care of the remains in the morning. Hey, it was late and I was tired, and out of sight, out of mind, right?

The next morning, I got up, fed the cats, took a shower, blahblahblah and headed for the garage, figuring I'd take care of the mouse. Except Tinks was already out there, finishing what he started. I guess he thought I saved it as a snack for him or something.

Leftovers are always better the second day.

Gross.

Oh!  And in further Tinks news, I made an ill-advised attempt to pick him up on Sunday morning.  "Hey, Tinks!  Come'ere, sweetie!"  HA.  Sweetie my a**.  He swatted at me and knocked my glasses clean off my face, breaking them in the process.

I call him Wrecking Ball.

How about you?  Have your pets broken anything expensive?

4 comments:

Becs said...

I've lost track. Between the peeing, the pooping, the puking, the mad tear around the house after a particularly successful bowel movement, butting their heads into windows because they think they can catch the birds. Oh and the furniture. All in all, I would say that even outside medical expenses the cats have racked up at least $10 K in damages.

Retirement? What freakin' retirement?

~~Silk said...

Killer cats - the facts: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

James P. said...

Suggest that the next time the grocery store has a good sale on Betty Crocker's Mole Helper, you should stock up.

rockygrace said...

Becs, I finally bought a steam cleaner for my carpets. But if I'm going to foster more kittens, I think I'm going to just tear the carpet out of the spare bedroom. Less work.

and ~~Silk, I guess there's something wrong with me, because that cartoon cracked me UP. "Dogs are a man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killers."

Oh, and Ginny, what is mole sauce made out of? Hmmm ...