Friday, October 26, 2012

Oh, screw you, Sandy.

So there's this hurricane down in the Caribbean right now, Sandy (YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF IT), which is supposed to head up the East Coast and become a FRANKENSTORM and a STORM OF THE CENTURY and THE PERFECT STORM and WE'RE ALL DOING TO DIE and

holy sh*t bugger off.

I am SO TIRED of getting all worked up thanks to blanket media coverage of "weather events" that, half the time, turn out to be nothing at all.

But, I mean, it's impossible for me to be totally nonchalant when terms like "blizzardcane" (hahaha I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING YOU) start getting tossed around, because (a) I'm only human, and (b) I live in a flood zone.

yes, yes, I knew the damn house was in a flood zone when I bought it.  But because of various and tawdry reasons, I needed a place to live RIGHT AWAY, and so I bit the bullet, bought the flood insurance, and purchased the house.

And I love my house.  I do.  And it has never ever flooded, not even in 2006, when historic flooding hit this area, and not last year, when we got over ten inches of rain in two days.

My house has always stayed dry.  But you can understand why a little frisson of fear goes up my back when I start hearing meteorologists LOSE THEIR EVER-LOVING SH*T over a storm that is probably not even going to happen. And then I have to KEEP hearing about it for DAYS AND DAYS AND DAYS, until the damn thing finally sputters out to sea and I can breathe again.

Hit the road, Sandy.  And don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I love the word frisson! I am so happy to see it used!

...and now I never need to actually state I'm a geek for you to know that.

rockygrace said...

Frisson is one cool word. Not geeky at all. (Not that there's anything wrong with geeky.)

One of the things that was worrying me about this storm is that the place I usually evacuate to, my boss's house, is, for various reasons, not an option this time. (Mainly because: FOUR CATS.)

But! I sat here at the office, stewing about where I would go, when I realized, "The office!" I can come RIGHT HERE and camp out. Cats included.

Whew. I feel better now.

Becs said...

Don't even look at the weather channel. Surely TCM isn't ranting about the rain and storm and lightning.

Birdie said...

It is always the way with that news. Predict Armageddon! Then if it doesn't happen don't mention it again. If it does happen they can all pat themselves on the back at how they "knew" it was going to happen.
Stay dry.

rockygrace said...

Becs, that's fine advice.

And Birdie, I will do my level best to stay dry. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise ... *cough*