Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Okay, one more post and then I'll let it go

First off, scroll down to the previous post to see what I'm all ranty about.






Story after story after story about people who were denied pet adoption because of ridiculous reasons. The best one? "There was concern about my kitchen floor."

I GET that some people should not be allowed to adopt some pets. And some people should not be allowed to adopt ANY pets. But to just keep denying, denying, denying ... Gah.



~~Silk, I absolutely agree with your "petty dictator" comment on the previous post - I don't really want to say too much here, in case someone shows up at my door with a pitchfork and a torch, but let's just say there's a woman in charge of a local rescue group who basically allows almost no adoptions - because she gets to "choose" who gets to adopt, you see, so she chooses NO ONE. Personally, I find her particular power trip both laughable and tragic, but I guess it's all she's got and she's goin' with it.



And Becs, yeah, some rescue people tend to have FAR too many cats in their own homes. Can a cat live in an overcrowded situation? Of course. Is it the best placement for the cat? Of course not. But God forbid these people let, you know, strangers adopt THEIR cats. Because no one else could possibly care for the cats as well as they can ...



Oh man, there I went again ... sorry ...



It's just ... at this point, I have been trying for over a week to even get a photo of some cats I may be interested in adopting - these are semi-feral young cats who are living in an unheated trailer (high temp today? 35 degrees), and I am meeting roadblock after roadblock. The whole thing pisses me off. And if I've been deemed unsuitable for adoption, or if I've been blacklisted because of what I've been writing here, I wish they'd have the cojones to just TELL ME, for Christ's sake ... Sadly, I think it's more a case of incompetence and a reluctance to let any cats go. And I'm about to give up on these people.




4 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

I remember looking for some dogs a few years ago, some of the descriptions were worthy of Academy Awards. One in particular sticks in my mind, the dog was despressed. At the end of the story I thought no way is this woman ever going to let that dog be adopted. And I don't want to have tea with you, I want to adopt a pet. Crazy ass people everywhere.

Birdie said...

You know what? Cat people are fucking crazy. (I am a cat person.) At our local adoption centre you are not allowed in the cat room and yet they go on and on about too many cats. These people have NO people skills. All they can do is think about cats. In the end, it is the cats that suffer. When they are sitting in a cat room for years on end I think it would have been a better life for them to be fixed then released so they can be feral. At least they can do cat things and not have to live in a room with 75 other cats and never receive and love of affection.

Zazzu said...

You have more patience than I, because I would have already given up on these nutcases.

There are many kittens ready for homes in this country. If you're willing to drive a ways you can find someone, somewhere, who isn't completely insane and will let you adopt.

So sorry you're having to deal with this. It's absolutely ridiculous.

rockygrace said...

haha, fmcetc., yeah, it's like, "I don't want to hear your life story, just let me know if I can adopt this cat already." If I hear one more rescue person go on and on and ON about their recent "minor medical procedure", I'm gonna GIVE them a minor medical procedure.

and Birdie, I have mixed feelings on the "cat rooms." On the one hand, at least they're not in little cages, but on the other hand, sometimes I think it tends to promote a survival-of-the-fittest type atmosphere. Amongst the cats, that is. I've been at shelters when MASSIVE cat fights broke out, and the people there were just, like, "Oh, haha, they're at it again!" Yeah, it's funny when your cats are killing each other. Not.

and Zazzu, I know that someday I'll find "my cats". God knows, there's a billion of 'em out there. It's just frustrating, because I would (possibly) take the trailer cats RIGHT now, and they won't even let me SEE them. Grrrr.