Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Born to run

While I have been enjoying doing cat foster care very much, and I want to continue to foster, my plan all along has been to have some "permanent" cats along with the fosters. While I still miss The Runt and Little Girl terribly, there are other cats out there who need homes. And I've decided that it's time - time to start looking for some permanent companions.

Which puts me in an interesting position. Because I let my "permanent" cats go outside if they wish, none of the local shelters and rescue groups, including the ones for which I volunteer, will allow me to adopt. You have to sign paperwork indicating that you will keep the adopted cats inside.

Huh.

I certainly understand their point of view - well, kinda. If you live on a busy street or in a crappy neighborhood, you absolutely should keep your cats inside. And indoor cats DO tend to live longer than outdoor cats, although I am prepared to argue the quality-of-life issue. The fact is, I let my cats outside if they wish to go. In my opinion, cats are wild creatures, not meant to be confined in what, to them, is basically a (large) cage. (This is probably why I have a problem with zoos.)

"Lie," everybody tells me, including people from the rescue groups. "Just check the box indicating that you'll keep them inside, and then let them out."


But I don't WANT to lie. It goes against my nature. I do not like lying, although goodness knows I have done it on occasion, and it always comes back to bite me in the butt. Like the pizza incident.


And I want cats who need to be outside. Cats who would never be content to live life looking out the damn window.


So when I found a rescue group out in the sticks looking for homes for rescued feral cats and barn cats, I thought, "This is my chance. Surely they can't object to someone letting a barn cat outside. And The Runt and Little Girl were feral cats. And I was allowed to adopt them, because the shelter I was volunteering for at the time said they were unadoptable." Yeah, that's me - I get the rejects. I love the rejects.


I emailed the rescue group. I filled out an application, explaining that I am interested in feral and/or barn cats, indicating very plainly that I would let the cats go outside if they so desired. I'm waiting to hear back.


*gulp*

7 comments:

~~Silk said...

Is your local paper large enough to have a "free to good home" section?

fmcgmccllc said...

I have a cat question, do all cats scratch up your furniture and doors? Do outdoor cats bring weird things indoors?

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, the local newspaper's classified section is a ghost town. Craigslist is alive and well and chock full of free cats, but I can no longer deal with the Craigslist crazy.

and fmcetc., my "permanent" cats have never scratched up any furniture, probably because they do all their scratching on tree trunks outside. They don't scratch on the doors because I have pet doors, so they can come and go as they please.

They DO bring in stuff. Mice, birds, baby bunnies, little snakes ... you name it, they bring it in. Usually still alive and kicking, which means I've gotten really, really good at trapping stuff under a Cool Whip container and releasing it outside. Usually at two in the morning. *sigh*

Domestic Kate said...

Thanks for posting about keeping cats indoors. I too think it's wrong to keep them indoors. I lied when I adopted Kira, although technically, she didn't go outside for about 4 months after I adopted her. Now, she pretty much hangs out right outside the door when she goes out.

Freecycle is not supposed to be used for animals, but I've seen cats and dogs on there before. You might check it out.

rockygrace said...

Kate, good to know I'm not the only one who lets my cats out. FREEDOM!! Ha.

My neighbors LOVED my cats, because they kept the critters out of their vegetable garden. They keep asking me when I'm going to get more.

~~Silk said...

I just discovered that the township I live in requires that all cats and dogs must be licensed, and NO animals are allowed to run loose! There are collared and uncollared cats all over the neighborhood all day and night. Obviously, the law is not enforced for cats.

Check your local ordinances. If you are not allowed to let cats run, you could always answer the question with, "Oh, it's illegal to let cats out here." That way you're not lying....

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I like the way you think.