Friday, February 10, 2012

Recently Read

So! Things are a little ... unsettled around here right now. Let's do a Recently Read! Per usual, skip it if you wanna.

1. Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb - Novel set in the sixties about an elementary school's Christmas pageant - told from the point of view of a fifth grade boy - cute and funny - good, quick read.

2. Black Mountain Breakdown by Lee Smith - meh.

3. The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin - Historical fiction about Lavinia Warren - Very good - I enjoyed it.

Okay, let's do a movie review! Last Play at Shea was billed as a Billy Joel concert documentary - it really isn't. It's a history of Shea Stadium and the Mets and Billy Joel's early career. It's kind of interesting, but it's not a Billy Joel concert.

Okay, back to books.

4. Candy Girl by Diablo Cody - Memoir of a stripper. Yeah, I'm a sucker for a good stripper story. This was written by the woman who wrote the screenplay for "Juno". I didn't care for her writing style at first, but I did enjoy the book. Good story.

5. Come in and Cover Me by Gin Phillips - Oh, man. Man, man, man. I absolutely LOVED her first book - The Well and The Mine - it's one of my all-time favorites. This one? Nope. I 'm so sorry, but I can't recommend it. It's about an archaeologist - full of cliched dialogue - yuck. Sorry, Ms. Phillips, I didn't like this one.

6. What My Heart Wants to Tell by Vera Mae Slone - Memoir of growing up in rural Kentucky in the early 1900s - Very detailed as far as planting, harvesting, butchering, etc. - Interesting.

So that's what I've been reading. How about you?

5 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

Just finished The Night Circus (highly recommend it!), Wild Feminine, and am starting on Fierce Medicine (highly recommend it!).

Movies: We just watched "9" and it was really good! Dragonball Evolution (really good!), and am watching episodes of Robot Chicken (SO funny!). Am taking myself to see The Woman in Black at the movies today. Couldn't find anyone to go with me.

rockygrace said...

I've heard about The Night Circus, but I haven't read it (yet). Let me know how The Woman in Black is!

fmcgmccllc said...

Reading, Kill Shot by Vince Flynn not as riveting as his normal, still reading the Dick Cheney book, up to when he was working for Gerry Ford. Watched Contagion on the plane, it was horrid.

rockygrace said...

Okay, looks like I'll skip Contagion, then.

Badass Nature Girl said...

The movie was okay. Starts slow, a bit repetitive, but picks up. I jumped several times (might not have jumped at home, but with the screen being so huge and the sounds being louder, it's more startling). Disappointing ending though. Worth the money to see it and get some time away from home for a couple of hours :o)