So! Things are a little ... unsettled around here right now. Let's do a Recently Read! Per usual, skip it if you wanna.
1. Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb - Novel set in the sixties about an elementary school's Christmas pageant - told from the point of view of a fifth grade boy - cute and funny - good, quick read.
2. Black Mountain Breakdown by Lee Smith - meh.
3. The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin - Historical fiction about Lavinia Warren - Very good - I enjoyed it.
Okay, let's do a movie review! Last Play at Shea was billed as a Billy Joel concert documentary - it really isn't. It's a history of Shea Stadium and the Mets and Billy Joel's early career. It's kind of interesting, but it's not a Billy Joel concert.
Okay, back to books.
4. Candy Girl by Diablo Cody - Memoir of a stripper. Yeah, I'm a sucker for a good stripper story. This was written by the woman who wrote the screenplay for "Juno". I didn't care for her writing style at first, but I did enjoy the book. Good story.
5. Come in and Cover Me by Gin Phillips - Oh, man. Man, man, man. I absolutely LOVED her first book - The Well and The Mine - it's one of my all-time favorites. This one? Nope. I 'm so sorry, but I can't recommend it. It's about an archaeologist - full of cliched dialogue - yuck. Sorry, Ms. Phillips, I didn't like this one.
6. What My Heart Wants to Tell by Vera Mae Slone - Memoir of growing up in rural Kentucky in the early 1900s - Very detailed as far as planting, harvesting, butchering, etc. - Interesting.
So that's what I've been reading. How about you?