Thursday, February 23, 2012

It was twenty-five years ago today ...

... that I started work at my current job.

Twenty-five years.

Crazy, no?

Shit, I'm old.

We'll see what it gets me. (Other than continued employment, which was far from guaranteed a couple of weeks ago. Close call, there.) Five years ago, on my twentieth, my boss totally blew it off, and I almost quit. Then he felt so guilty that he WAY overcompensated, and I made out like a bandit. A massive dose of guilt can be highly profitable ...

... we'll see what happens today.

(Anecdotes? you want anecdotes? Oh, I've got plenty. I think my personal favorite has to be the time my boss was running late on his way to catch a flight and asked me to call the airport and have them hold the plane for him. HAAAAAAAAAA. That one still cracks me up.) (Yes, I made the call. Because I knew he was liable to check. The airline people and I had a good chuckle together.)

(You want some more? Let's see, there's my ongoing struggle with the asshole AFLAC salespeople; the time a crackhead stole a flowerbox off the porch and then returned it; the times (yes, plural) when employees went postal; the co-worker who, when overwhelmed, would shout "BACK OFF!"; the copier repairman who, when confronted with a groaning, grinding copier, told me, "it's supposed to sound like that" .... twenty-five years. One office. Holy cow.)

3 comments:

~~Silk said...

Happy Anniversary!

(If blogspot denizens are getting fewer comments these days, it's because of the stupid verification words. I've had to cycle through two, three, or more to find one I could read, every time I leave a comment anywhere on Blogspot!)

Zella said...

Sounds like you deserve a medal :) Congratulations !!! (or condolences ? hahaha)

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, those word verifications drive me crazy, too. It's like they've used up all the normal words, and now we're getting the alien ones. Right now? My verification words are "bejou" and "roduress". Whatevs.

and thanks for the anniversary wishes, guys!