Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oh and here we f*cking go

Okay, first off, scroll down, because I've got a post up about the quality TV viewing *cough* I plan on doing tonight.

Now. I have something I have to talk about RIGHT NOW, because it is PISSING ME OFF. (Warning: Abuse of caps lock ahead.)

You ready? *RANT ON.*

That rescue group? The one out in the sticks, who would allow me to adopt indoor/outdoor cats?

The woman who runs the show has decided which cats are right for me, and she doesn't want me to even see any of the other cats. Unfortunately, the cats she has selected for me? Are not right for me. I know they're not.

The other woman in the group who has the cats I actually AM interested in? Is trying, unsuccessfully, to allow Head Woman to let me see her cats. And Head Woman is refusing.

You know what? F*cking cat people drive me crazy.

I swear to God, it's like when they start doing rescue work, they take a PILL or something that makes them:

1. Totally unorganized.

2. Completely unable to communicate with others in the group, even when it would benefit the animals they are trying to help.

3. Absolutely, positively CONVINCED that THEY, and THEY ALONE, know which cats should be adopted to which people. And if you dare to go up against that? NO CATS FOR YOU. Right now there is a whole f*cking FLOCK of cats living in an unheated TRAILER that this woman will not allow me to see, because she has DECIDED that I should take the OTHER cats.

And it's odd. On the one hand, we have the volunteer with the trailer cats, who is evidently ready for me to come and take all the cats I want, no questions asked. "Here! Stuff some in your pockets!" And then we have the volunteer who is above her in hierarchy, who says I have to take the cats she chooses FOR me or no cats at all. AGREE ON YOUR POLICIES, PEOPLE.

I know this sounds bitter. And I'm sorry. But holy Christ on a cracker, every. single. time. I start looking for new pet companions, I go up against this total bullshit. Even though I volunteer for two local rescue groups, I have to go through this absolute insane clusterf*ck every single time.

Look, these people can deny me because I have blue eyes, if they want to. It's their choice. I get that. It's just the total arbitrariness of the system that drives me crazy.

Last weekend, when I was at the adoption center, a young couple came in who were interested in adopting one of our, well ... less friendly cats. "Is there still an age requirement?," the young man asked. "Wha?," I responded. "Well," he said, "We tried to adopt this cat a few months ago, but they said we couldn't, because I wasn't twenty-one yet. But I'm twenty-one now! And the cat's still here! So can we adopt her now?"

Yep. That's right. The powers that be at the rescue center had denied the adoption of a hard-to-place cat because the potential adopter, although old enough to drive and vote, was deemed not old enough to adopt a cat. Because he was twenty, and not twenty-one.

And rescue groups wonder why more people don't adopt from them. THIS IS WHY.

*RANT OFF*

2 comments:

~~Silk said...

Well, I waited to see what others might say. I think you're completely justified in your frustration. There are two things going on here.

One is bureaucracy, which by definition means no thought allowed, follow the rules to the letter, no exceptions. The epitome of bureaucracy is the state motor vehicle bureau. If the rule says 21, that's that.

The second is the petty dictator, one who who has let power go to her head, thinks she knows what's best, and will grab every opportunity to prove and exercise that power and force her will on others regardless of any argument to the contrary. The argument that she can get two adopted or none adopted depending on her listening to you will not matter to her as much as imposing her will, proving her power. The epitome of that is the fast food manager who knows he's never going to get any further in life.

This is why people "go postal".

Becs said...

There is a complete "group think" thing that happens with rescue groups, dog or cat (but especially cats). I once pet-sat for a woman who ran a local rescue group. She had over 40 cats in her house, including some in the basement that were dying. When I flew to the vet with the sickest kitten, the woman refused to reimburse me and asked me why I didn't just let it die.

Yeah, I know all about the crazy cat people. I got most of mine from a truly horrible "humane no-kill shelter" (no, they just let them rot in their cages).

Oh - I'm having a rant, too!

Go to the grocery store. Look at the "free to good home" signs.

Good luck. A cat who has a home with you is one lucky kitty cat.