Thursday, June 26, 2008

Should I Stay or Should I Go

Yesterday afternoon, the boss called me into his office. He informed me that he was thinking of moving the business to South Carolina, and wanted to know if I would consider relocating.

Ummmmmmmm...... HELLS, YEAH!!

The winters here in upstate New York are killing me. The older I get, the tougher it seems to be to spend several MONTHS of every year scraping ice off windshields and shoveling snow and putting on several layers of clothing before stepping out the door .........

I'm tired of it. It used to be that the warm summers and beautiful autumns offset the miserable winter months, but anymore? Not so much.

And we are taxed to DEATH here in the great state of New York. Taxes just keep going up, and up, and up. It's like the state and local governments aren't even TRYING to control costs anymore ...... and we taxpayers are getting screwed.

Reasons to stay? Um ......... there really aren't any. Yes, my mom is here, but with her decline into Alzheimer's, she's not really here, if you know what I mean. Two of my sisters are here, but one of them, TIB, is convinced I am the Antichrist, and the other one, Ditzy, just isn't a factor.

So! If the boss says pack up, I'm packing. Now, he has run this particular scenario up the flagpole before and nothing ever came of it, and I'm sure that is probably the case this time, but if he asks me to go? I'm gone.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yahoo! SC is a little south for me to go permanently -- but I have considered moving to VA or NC. I think our next move will probably be back to the Midwest, but that won't be for a while.

I hear you about the winters.

listie said...

I hear you about the winters. It seems as if we get more ice than snow now, and as I get older, I find that harder to deal with.

I don't think I could go as far south as SC - too hot. Having recently moved to my present location, any dreams of relocating somewhere else are out of the question.

rockygrace said...

Glad I'm not the only one getting my butt kicked by these winters.

I think the clincher was this past February and the trip to Texas that got postponed because of an ice storm. And I was out in the airport parking lot after my flight got cancelled struggling to scrape a solid half-inch of ice off my car windows and the ice scraper BROKE and I felt like collapsing into a sobbing mess because I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON MY WAY TO TEXAS, DAMMIT.

Whew. I feel better now.

rockygrace said...

Oh, and regularly risking my life to get back and forth to work on icy, snowy, accident-congested roads kind of sucks, too.

Exador said...

Do It. Moving south was the best thing I ever did.

1) It's no hotter here than in NY, and I live in GA. The humidity is the same or less. There's central air conditioning everywhere. Fall here lasts until December.

2) None of that 300 cloudy/rainy days/yr. Turns out the sky is normally BLUE!

3)Mild Winters.

4)Low taxes.

5)New stuff to see and do.

6)Average age < 75, unlike the southern tier.

Flea said...

I really, really, REALLY hope for your sake that you move. Sounds great!

Pop in at my blog in the morning, please? I need some information from you. :)

rockygrace said...

Exador, what is this blue sky you speak of?

And Flea, I'll stop by right now.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to move to South Carolina. Hope it happens for you!