Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Kool-Aid Pie

So! I tried kool-aid pie over the weekend, and it was just ........ yuck. Just wrong on so many levels. I mean, the concept sounded innocuous enough - cool whip, condensed milk, and kool-aid for flavor, in a graham cracker crust. There's not much that a graham cracker crust can't make good. But this pie just tasted blech. Nuff said.

But! I have made a new food discovery, and I am in love. I took my Mom out for lunch at a local diner (oh diners! how I love you!) a few weeks back, and they had a Monte Cristo sandwich on the menu. I had never heard of this before (I don't get out much, obviously), and so I ordered one (because that's how I roll. Never heard of it? Order it! Heh.) and oh my it was the best sandwich I'd had in a long time. Now I make them at home all the time.

Now, this is a sandwich where, if you just look at the ingredient list, you're all, ewwww. But trust me, this is one fine sandwich. Here's how you make one (not that you asked, of course): Make some french toast, or buy some frozen french toast and heat it up if you're that fricken' lazy. Take some thin-sliced ham, and some thin-sliced turkey or chicken, and layer it on top of the french toast. Put some swiss cheese on top (I use smoked swiss, because it is gooooood), and nuke it in the microwave until the cheese is gooey. Folks, I swear, it's better than ..... well, insert your particular favorite vice here.

Oh! And because I don't get out much, I had quesadillas fajitas* whatever those folded-over Mexican thingies are for the first time the other weekend. I don't normally like Mexican food (beans and rice = gross), but those suckers were just chicken and onions and green peppers and salsa in fajita shells, and yum!

So! Has anybody else tried any great new foods lately? Or any terrible new foods? (Kool-aid pie, anyone?)



*The power of strikethrough compels you. Heh.

7 comments:

listie said...

Kool-Aid pie! I think that rates right up there with my sister's zucchini pie. (The logic being, that if zucchini tastes good in bread, why not pie? Wrong.)

Diner food = comfort food (dare you name the diner?)

I've never tried a monte cristo sandwich. Something about french toast and ham just doesn't seem right. I should be more open minded.

rockygrace said...

Zucchini? Blecch. A childhood dislike that stayed with me. Also: squash.

To be honest, I can't remember the name of the diner. (Big surprise there, right?) It's on the Parkway, not far from the Skylark. I'll drive past it on my way home and try to remember (ha!) to get the name.

Trust me on the Monte Cristo. Give it a shot & let me know what you think!

rockygrace said...

Diner update!

It is called the Parkway Diner. I'm guessing that's because it's on the Parkway. Ya think?

listie said...

I think that's where I take my mother. Blue building, near the corner where the fruit market used to be?

Anonymous said...

Frozen French toast? Really? You can get such a thing?

rockygrace said...

The Parkway Diner is next to the Vestal Bakery, which is on the southwest corner of the intersection of the Parkway and Clayton Ave. The Skylark is in between a gas station and the library, a few lots down from the old Hi-Way Fruit Market (a car wash is there now.) My first job ever was at the Hi-Way Fruit Market! Oh, and the Skylark has a big painting of a bird (a skylark, I'm thinking!) on the front glass by the entrance.

And oh yes, of course frozen french toast! Don't tell me you don't have it over there?!

listie said...

Yup, that's the place I take my mom. We always seem to run into someone she knows when we go in there.

Hi-Way Fruit Market! I used to go in there regularly. I probably saw you!

Someday we need to get together and swap stories of growing up there.