Friday, June 07, 2013

Three donuts for a dollar?!



I was on my way to work this morning when I realized that donuts had FINALLY come up in the rotation of "Things that might taste good to me".

I mean, in normal times, donuts would ALWAYS taste good to me, but with illness comes compromise, and with this particular illness comes a struggle to find something that I can eat without tasting one bite and having my taste buds flat-out rebel.  Scrambled eggs have been a front-runner for quite a while now.

But it turns on a dime; the other evening, I decided that nothing but a tuna sandwich would do for dinner.  I was too tired to actually MAKE some tuna salad (oh, the WOE), so I ran down to the sub shop and picked up a tuna sub.  By the time I got it back home and unwrapped it, a span of about ten minutes, I realized that I could no more eat that tuna sub than I could fly to the moon.  Tuna?  TUNA?  *gag*

Yeah, I've been spending a lot on groceries lately.

But!  Back to the story!  (YAAAAAY!)

Donuts sounded good this morning.  So I stopped at the grocery store, grabbed a chocolate-frosted Boston Creme, and went up to the register.

"That'll be thirty-four cents!," the cashier chirped.  "It's National Donut Day!  All donuts are half-off today! You can buy three donuts for a dollar, or a dozen for four dollars!"

And I swear to God I felt like Homer Simpson, standing there.  HAAAALLLLFFFF OFFFFFF DOONNNNNUUUTTTSSSSS!  What to do?  Go back and grab a dozen?  TWO DOZEN?  Are donuts freezable?  Donnnnuuuuuuttttttttsssssssss ...

In the end, I paid for my Boston Creme and left.  Because after all, by the time I actually have a chance to eat it, scrambled eggs will have probably come round again in the "things that might taste good to me" rotation.



5 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

smart move.

for donut day two of the women each brought in a dozen donuts.. I should probably mention there are only five women in the office..

James P. said...

Sounds like the Morning Sickness food rotation/search.....except there is weeping involved with that.

rockygrace said...

Tails, I have been known to hoard office donuts. Sad, but true.

and Ginny, the only thing that would make this worse is if it WAS morning sickness.

In brighter news, I did manage to eat most of the donut. But then I had ice cream for lunch. And now I feel like I may never eat again.

fmcgmccllc said...

I am going to write about my donut, a story for the times on my Blog.

The ice cream was too much. For you it is go small or stay home.

rockygrace said...

I believe you are correct, fmcetc.