Thursday, June 20, 2013

Add "fox"




... to the list of wildlife I've seen in my backyard.

Of course, there's always the deer.  I discovered today that sometime last night, the deer had come through and  buzz-sawed the garden phlox.  The phlox that is approximately two feet away from my house.

And let's see, there's turkeys, and pheasants, and of course the raccoons.  And hawks.  And rabbits.  And woodchucks.

And then, tonight, I was looking out the kitchen window when I saw a fox crossing the yard.  He popped out of the brushline, and the lowering sun illuminated his red-gold fur, spotlit his bottle-brush tail, and turned his ears translucent as he swiveled his head around, observing, before he headed back into the brush.

Ain't life grand?


4 comments:

the queen said...

So jealous! Saw a fox down the lane but never in my subdivision.

Becs said...

A wild turkey landed on the roof of my garden shed. There have also been opossums and racoons, but I haven't seen them. Oh! And those rats with hooves, deer meandering around my yard.

James P. said...

I'm surprised that you are just now seeing a fox since we see them here in the suburbs of Washington DC. Maybe they have been at your house but have been really sneaky.

I once hooked up a camera to the patio so that my husband could see the animals/birds that came there. The first things to show up that night was a fox!....So, we called it Fox Television, which would be a load of laughs if he didn't really watch Fox News Channel. (Someone come get me now!)....Ginny

rockygrace said...

Gosh, sounds like we're all overflowing with wildlife.