Monday, June 17, 2013

Recently Read


yeah yeah yeah, skip it if you wanna.

1.  Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon by Debbie Fuller Thomas - Novel about babies switched at birth.  A quick read, although I was a good way through it before I realized it was Christian fiction.  Still, an entertaining book.

2.  The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - Histrionic governess sees dead people.  Or maybe not.  F*ck if I know.  I got tired of all the hysteria and gave up about halfway through.

3.  Movie review time!  Searching for Sugarman is a doc about a couple of guys looking  for a Detroit musician who was once huge in South Africa, but then fell off the face of the earth.  Interesting.

4.  Happens Every  Day by Isabel Gillies - Memoir of a divorce.  Seen one, seen 'em all.

5.  Waiting for the Apocalypse  by Veronica Chater - Memoir of a woman raised in a hard-core Catholic family.  Interesting.  I remember that she did a segment on This American Life years ago about climbing a tree after her pet bird and the catastrophic injuries she suffered when she fell out of said tree.  Anyway, the book was good.

6.  Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.  What can I say?  It's Maeve Binchy, bitch!  I love her books.

7.  Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts - Murder-mystery.  Meh.

8.  Methland by Nick Reding - History of meth, focusing on one small Iowa town.  Very informative (I had no ideas that all sides in WWII were feeding their soldiers crank to keep them going) and interesting.


How about you?  Read anything good lately?


3 comments:

Becs said...

Still stuck in The Two Towers, but I thought Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella was darling.

And for you, if you want more "Tarsome", you simply must read the Lucia books by E.F. Benson starting with Queen Lucia.

Domestic Kate said...

I read Methland a while back--really, really interesting.

As for Turn of the Screw, I think I recommended that to you long ago. Too bad. I enjoyed it, but then again, enjoyable literature is hard to come by as a lit major :/ This one was at least weird and creepy.

rockygrace said...

Becs, thanks for the suggestions!

and Kate, yes, it WAS you. :) I just ... it started with the little kid getting kicked out of boarding school, evidently for something terrible, and the governess was AFRAID to ask anybody what he did? And wouldn't tell the kids' guardian because she didn't want to bother him? Oh please. I woulda kicked that kid's butt.