Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Oh, for ...





I was watching The Voice the other night (yes, the sh*t TV streak is continuing), and that brother act was singing "Wagon Wheel", which was introduced as "a Darius Rucker song".

EXCUSE me?!

I'm pretty sure that Ketch Secor (the lead singer of Old Crow Medicine Show) and Bob f*cking Dylan, who are the ACTUAL co-authors of Wagon Wheel, would be either bemused or enraged, either response would be totally appropriate, to learn that Wagon Wheel is now a "Darius Rucker song".

Jeezus CHRIST.

It's like when they say that "I Will Always Love You" is "a Whitney Houston song".  NO.  NO IT IS NOT.  It is a Dolly motherf*cking PARTON song.

It doesn't matter who SINGS it, people. It's who WRITES it that counts.






3 comments:

~~Silk said...

I am sick and tired of people looking at me like I'm crazy when I mention Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" as one of my favorites. They sneer and INFORM me that it's a Whitney Huston song, not Dolly Parton.

From Wikipedia: "'I Will Always Love You' is a song by American singer-songwriter Dolly Parton. The country track was released on June 6, 1974 as the second single from Parton's thirteenth solo studio album, Jolene (1974). Recorded on June 13, 1973, the singer wrote the song for her one-time partner and mentor Porter Wagoner, from whom she was professionally splitting at the time. "I Will Always Love You" received positive comments from critics and attained commercial success, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart two times. With the accomplishment, Parton became the first artist ever to earn a number one record twice with the same song as a singer, and three times as a writer. "I Will Always Love You" is the second song ever to reach the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 in separate chart runs. Whitney Houston recorded a version of the song for the 1992 film The Bodyguard which is one of the best selling singles of all time."

"One of the best selling" as opposed to "top three two separate times"? Bull poopy Whitney Huston!

Not only that, but Dolly did it better. There was more real emotion.

Sheesh. Kids.

James P. said...

I feel sure that the people involved with The Voice, contestants and otherwise, have no real music education background. They've listened to CD's. Don't make us come up there and change your TV channels to something bearable.

On the topic of not knowing a song's origins, I still cringe when I remember attending a Catholic church next to a university when they trotted out a "new" version of The Lord's Prayer in song....same words....tune was a Marianne Faithful (before your time) song written by MICK JAGGER and Keith Richards. In church?????????????

rockygrace said...

I guess it all depends on if you think of "White Christmas" as a Bing Crosby song or an Irving Berlin song. Me? Irving all the way.

And Ginny, sadly, I am more familiar with Mariane Faithfull's dating history than I am with her musical legacy.