Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ah, summer TV




Last night I watched The Great American Bake-Off or whatever the hell it's called.  I kind of got hooked on it back when I was cuckoo-ill, and now I find myself watching every week.

I think the reason I like it is because unlike so many of the reality shows, there's no YELLING on this one.  Oh, sure, there's some tears, and I felt really, really bad for Effie when she got kicked off last night, but nobody's screaming at each other.

Well, yet, anyway.

Oh!  And the other thing I like is that there's some pretty spectacular baking failures in there.  Some of the chefs display a really amazing refusal to follow printed directions, and other just f*ck up, like when poor Effie forgot the SUGAR in her souffle last night.  Oh, Effie, honey, I feel for you.  Lots of stuff comes out of the ovens undercooked, or overcooked.  And the men, especially, struggle with what the judges call "presentation", meaning, I think, that it's supposed to look good before you dig in.  And the judges dig right in, too!   It's pretty funny watching them try to give their critiques when they've got big ol' mouthfuls of cake.

So!  That's my guilty viewing pleasure this summer.  What's yours?



5 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

Well, a couple years ago, I got hooked on The Glades on A&E, which only airs in the summer. It's a really bad crime drama with a pretty hot lead character (hint hint). Unfortunately, I can't watch it online, so I'm bummed about that since I recently caught up on the old ones on Netflix. It can be someone else's guilty pleasure I guess.

rockygrace said...

A hot lead character, hmmmm? :)

James P. said...

I have $20 that says Effie slashed rivals' tires in the parking lot when she left early.

rockygrace said...

Ha! That would be classic, Ginny.

Poor Effie. She just seemed so ... so ... meek.

James P. said...

Blessed are the Meek Bakers.