Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Stuff it, Lands' End - Weekend in Review

So!  Thursday was a nice long walk and then Thanksgiving, which was mercifully short on drama this year.  New to the table was my firefighter nephew J.'s new girlfriend. 

Friday I was at the adoption center, where disaster was narrowly averted.  Then I made my annual trip to JoAnn Fabrics.  Every year, they hold a FABulous Black Friday sale.  I picked up a BUNCH of different fabrics for a buck seventy-four a yard, which makes my cheap little heart go all warm.  And I picked up some clear heavy plastic sheeting at half price, which I stapled-gunned to the bottom half of the foster room screen door, as the screen was in imminent danger of destruction due to KITTENS climbing on it all the time.  Sheesh.  Crazy kids.

On Saturday morning, I saw the pheasant again.   So did the cats, who were all, "What the hell is THAT?"  And I FINALLY got the bathtub scrubbed.  And did laundry.  And generally did all the other home-stuff I've been putting off for way too long.  And then I went to an antiques store, where I ALMOST bought a tiffany-style table lamp.  The fact that it was brand-new and not vintage (the Made in China sticker was a dead giveaway (ha)) did not bother me, but just as I was getting ready to take it down from the shelf, I tapped on the shade, and ... plastic.  The shade was made of PLASTIC.  Whew.  Disaster narrowly averted.  But THEN, I went to ANOTHER antiques store, and, you guys know Mr. Z, right?  The thrift store had a Mr. Z-sized, ride-on ELEPHANT.  Oh snap, you guys, I might have to go back for that.  AN ELEPHANT. 

Sunday was check the you-know-what day, followed by more time at the adoption center.  A young hipster dude came in and wanted to know why his cat was pooping all on the floor instead of in her litterbox.  Um, because she has to live with a young hipster dude?  Ha.  No, seriously, I did give him some advice, starting with take her to the vet to make sure there's not something physical going on.  "Oh yeah!," the hipster said.  "She DID have bowel surgery a couple of months ago!"  Yeah, that could be the problem.

And then!  And then!  I had the shopping score of the century.  All I can say is, Lands' End can STUFF IT, because I was looking for one particular item, and first I went on line and  I checked several web sites, including Lands' End, where they wanted an outRAGEous price for the object I needed, and THEN I went to the mall and found the EXACT same thing in Macy's for, like, a TENTH of what Lands' End was charging.  PLUS, Land's Sucky End wanted NINE BUCKS to ship something that weighed, like, three ounces, so SHOVE IT, Lands' Bite Me End.

Oh!  And on Sunday, I had a few awful minutes when I thought I had somehow lost thirty bucks at the gas station, but then I found the money tucked into a different part of my wallet.  When I thought the money was gone, I kept trying to talk myself down, all, "Maybe somebody who really needs it will find it", and "It's only thirty bucks", and yeah, no, I was heartsick.  So I was very RELIEVED when I found it.

And Ponyboy would like everybody to know that HE CAUGHT A MOUSE.  Completely unassisted by either of his brothers, Ponyboy GOT ONE.  Go, Pony!

And then it was Monday and I was late to work because going into the kitten-filled spare bedroom is a total timesuck.  Yeah, it's all the kittens' fault.

Coming soon:  The Year Without a Christmas Tree.  I KNOW.

No comments: