Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Three Point Oh

Three years ago today, I quit smoking. I’ve never cheated once; I never wanted to. One day I was a smoker (for almost thirty years) and the next day I wasn’t. I still can't believe I did it. Just. Like. That.

Shall we run the numbers, just for fun?

Number of cigarettes I would have smoked between April 3, 2009 and today, had I not stopped smoking on that date: 32,850.

Amount of money saved: $5,847.30. (As in last year's post, a clarification: I smoked cheap cigs I bought on line. I used a dollar figure of $3.56 a pack, since that's what my smokes cost at the time I quit. If I had been buying Marlboros at the corner Seven-Eleven, at today's price of eight bucks a pack (minimum), that number would have been - wait for it - $13,140.00.)

Am I glad I quit? Oh, you betcha. I’m just sorry I didn't do it sooner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! An amazing anniversary. Congratulations.

- Bridgett

rockygrace said...

You know, Bridgett, I kind of feel weird about doing these posts. It's like fishing for compliments because I quit being a drug addict or something. "Congratulate me, I don't do heroin any more!"* when really, I never should have done it in the first place.

But hell, I'll take the congrats. Thanks!


*hypothetical situation, OF COURSE.

Anonymous said...

And you're posting from home! Huzzah. When it's Sing-Off time, we can liveblog it!!

- B

rockygrace said...

OH YEAH! You're on!

Laura said...

Congratulations! It doesn't matter that you shouldn't have smoked in the first place, it matters that you quit.

By sheer coincidence I have a blueberry coffee cake in the oven RIGHT NOW, and I haven't made it since I sent you some three years ago.

rockygrace said...

Laura, I remember that care package. And it inspired me to send care packages to others, so your thoughtfulness was definitely passed on.

And if you've got any spare coffee cake, well ... :)