Wednesday, September 07, 2011

When the rains came

Okay, right now it's eight o'clock at night - still at my boss's house with Little Girl. I'm estimating that we've probably got about eight inches of rain at this point, although I don't know for sure because, frankly, I'm too afraid to try to go back home and check the rain gauge. Plus, they've closed all the roads, and that rain gauge may be several miles downstream right now, anyway.

Is that crazy, that I wouldn't go back right now, even if I could? If my house is underwater, I can deal with that, but I don't want to SEE it while it's happening. Things are going to get - God, I hate to say it - but things are actually going to get worse before they get better - another 2 to 4 inches tonight. I can deal with the loss of the house, I can deal with losing all my possessions, but the thing that I'm afraid of is having to deal with going through all the bullshit with the insurance company and FEMA and uh-oh I'm crying again so I'd better stop going down that path right now.

Thanks to everybody who commented on the last post, especially Becs - my goodness, I hope I somehow find a little bit of the inner fortitude you've displayed through your own loss.

I'll post again as soon as I can - probably sometime tomorrow. And hey! My house hasn't been on the local news yet, so there's always that, right? Talk to you soon.,

6 comments:

the queen said...

Will some of the insurance pay for a company like ServiceMaster to come in a do the heavy cleanup?

Or, is it possible you clean up your neighbors house, and you neighbor cleans yours? That way you don't have to look at your damaged stuff?

rockygrace said...

Hi queen - I'm not sure what the insurance co. will pay for - the house itself - walls, floors, furnace, etc. - is covered, but my belongings are not, so I don't know if I'll have to go in and haul all the crap (rugs, etc.) out before the restoration guys can start.

It's just - I remember from back in 06 - people waited for MONTHS, their homes filling with black mold, while their insurance companies/FEMA/local agencies debated about who was going to cover what. My sister in Texas went through the same thing last fall.

I've already decided that's not going to happen here if I can help it - I can pay to at least have the wet shit (drywall, etc.) demo'd/hauled out, and I'll let the agencies thrash it out and pay me back later. F*ck it, if I have to, I'll buy another place - I can carry two mortgages for a few months if I have to. My biggest fear is being stuck in some damn limbo for a long period of time.

And yeah, if I'm flooded, my neighbor across the street is flooded, too, so maybe we can trade cleaning houses - excellent idea!

Gotta go - talk to you soon.

rockygrace said...

Okay, one more quick update - 10:30 Wednesday night - the neighborhood where my office (work) is located is being evacuated right now - they are in the process of moving 2,000 people because the flood walls are about to be breached.

Well, shit, at least I'm still here, right? I may not have anyplace to live or anyplace to work, but me and Little Girl are still right here. Talk about lowered expectations.

But I have to say, Little Girl thinks the carpeted stairs here at my boss's house are the bee's knees, we're both warm and dry, and let's see what the future brings.

rockygrace said...

One more update - Wedsnesday 11 p.m - between the town where I live, the town where I work, and another local town in between, they are currently evacuating 10,000 people. Anybody got a spare cot?

(My boss's house, where Little Girl and I are staying, is not in this area. Thank goodness.)

Badass Nature Girl said...

Wasn't I supposed to be out there right now?! Holy crap, how scarey! Stay safe, stay safe, stay safe!

Rob said...

W ... thoughts are with you. Let us know how it turned out when you get the opportunity.