Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Here I go putting my foot in it again

Okay, so, the other day, over at somebody's else's blog (I am being maddeningly vague here on purpose, lest she get even more unwanted attention), she wrote about how she saw a little kid throw a tantrum. She had tweeted something along the lines of "Whoaaa ... Little kid full-bore freakout on the playground ... jeeeez."

And some PC douchecanoe promptly reprimanded her via email, reminding her that she didn't even CONSIDER that the kid might be special-needs, and HOW DARE SHE stare, and everybody needs to STOP MAKING FUN of the differently-abled, and ...

... oh holy Christ on a crutch.

LOOK. If some kid throws a screaming meemie fit on the playground, people are going to stare. At least at first, if only to try and locate where the uproar is coming from before seeing that it's just a kid having a meltdown and turning away. And, depending on the onlooker's age and social skills level, they may CONTINUE to stare. IT HAPPENS.

Let's see - how can I put this? If I go tearing through Walmart with underwear on my head screaming "booga booga booga", I am going to be treated differently than if I am quietly picking out apples. It has nothing to do with whether I am special-needs, full-on schizophrenic, or just took an extra strong hit of acid, people are going to stare at me. And comment. And tweet.

But to suggest that those people are not ALLOWED to stare or comment or tweet, because it's NOT NICE? It's being INSENSITIVE to my needs?

Oh BULLSHIT. Cry me a f*cking river.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Amen ... I get sick of all this PC bullshit.

Shalini said...

Yeah, I read that post too. I think I'm the only person on the internet who doesn't care one way or the other. I didn't even read the comments! Or comment myself. I'm probably a robot.

rockygrace said...

Rob, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

and ssm, thanks for stopping by! I am honored. I just found your blog today and I LOVE it.

and I couldn't help but read the comments on that post. What cracked me up is when people started piling on the PC douchecanoe for being judgmental, when that is what she had been piling on the blogger for. But they were all trying SO HARD not to launch into an outright comment flame war. I should go check back ... maybe it's World War III over there by now. I suppose I could always toss a comment torch in to get things rolling ... oh sweet jesus, I am evil.

Anonymous said...

I agree. After having a neighbor kid come running through my front door, through my house, and to the back yard chasing my cat (I found out later he's autistic), I can say that I frankly don't care whether the kid has special needs or not. It's still annoying. I can be compassionate, but it doesn't mean I'm going to look the other way.