Thursday, September 15, 2011

Isn't it ironic

The apartment building where I used to live, which is not in a flood zone, flooded. Well, my old apartment didn't flood, because I lived on the second floor, but the building itself did.

My house where I live now, which IS in a flood zone, did not flood.

Go figure.

Oh! And in other news, when the local utility company was working to get gas service restored to the neighborhood, they were going door-to-door explaining that when they were able to turn the gas back on, they'd have to come back and check everyone's gas appliances for flooding before they could turn the service on to individual houses. I asked one of the guys what would happen if I wasn't home when they came back, and he said, "Well, we'll put a tag on your door with a phone number on it, and you can call to schedule another appointment, but honestly? With the situation in this area, it might take quite a while to get somebody back out here. If you feel comfortable doing it, it would be a lot quicker to just leave a note on your door explaining how to access the appliances, and then we can go ahead and check them when you're not here."

Ha! And that's what I did. I left a note on my door explaining which door was unlocked, and go on in, guys!

But seriously? That's some pretty shit advice, if you ask me. All it takes is one enterprising criminal to go door-to-door, looking for notes on doors to see which houses are begging to be robbed. I never would have left the note, except I don't have anything worth stealing. Oh, and plus, my neighbors watch my house like a damn hawk, so there's that.

Then again, if they stole my nineteen year old TV, at least I'd have an excuse to go buy a new one.

Oh! And in OTHER other news, a protest is being organized for tomorrow in front of the local Petco, where they evacuated the employees but left the animals behind. The CEO of Petco paid a visit the other day, doing damage control. Evidently there were no cats or dogs in the store, but there were rodents, reptiles, birds, and lots and lots of fish. People on local message boards are all, "fish have rights, too!" Um ... yes ... they have a right to be on my plate with some tartar sauce and fries on the side. Sorry. I just ... isn't a flood kind of like the best-case scenario for a bunch of fish in tanks? "Here we go, guys - the water's rising - FREEDOM!"

Man, I'm going to hell for sure. If I believed in that kind of thing.

2 comments:

~~Silk said...

Key with neighbor? Note directing crew to neighbor?

rockygrace said...

Ha! I can totally see leaving a note saying the key is with my neighbors, and then the robbers going over and killing the neighbors to get the key.

At least then they wouldn't be parking in my driveway.

Naw, who am I kidding? It's not like I live in a mcmansion or something. Nobody's gonna look at my house, gasp, and say, "That house! I can tell it is just FILLED with riches!" ha. Filled with cat hair and clothes from the Sal is more like it.