Saturday, September 10, 2011

Here I Am!

Holy crap, you guys, this is just unbelievable. I have never in my life seen anything like this. Entire towns with water up to the rooftops. Here's a link:

Pressconnects.com

If that doesn't work, just type "Binghamton NY newspaper" into your search engine.

Obviously, I haven't been straying into dangerous territory to get pics, but here's a few I was able to snap. This is a bridge over the Choconut Creek (the creek that runs by my house):




The water was all the way up to the top of the twenty-foot-high floodwall and across the bridge. The Susquehanna River was actually backing UP the creek at that point.


Here's the Walmart parking lot, er, swimming pool:




The neighborhood behind the Walmart got it much, much worse, as did many other places.


What's that they say? Don't ever, EVER drive through water?:




Idiot. People drive like MORONS when there's an emergency. I've seen more crazy-ass driving in the last two days than I have in the past - forever.


So! I am okay. There's no gas service to our neighborhood, because a main ruptured. I've got an electric water heater (ha!) so the neighbors have been coming over to take showers. I don't have any heat (gas furnace), but I've got space heaters.


My elderly neighbor T. across the street flooded - I spent yesterday afternoon helping to rip out her wall-to-wall carpeting. We did five rooms in two hours - Yay! I'll tell you what, soaking-wet carpeting weighs A TON.


My garage is awfully smelly - the floor got soaked - but I've got fans running and it'll dry. The yard is still a mess - it's like walking on a wet sponge. I don't guess I'll be mowing any time soon. (yay).


I finally made it in to the office (and the internet!) this morning. The basement flooded, and the parking lot flooded, but the offices are dry. The phone lines are effed up, but I can deal with that Monday.


I've been scrambling to get Little Girl's meds - I was going to pick up refills on Thursday, which is when the shit hit the fan. Her prescriptions are running low, and both the vet's office (where I fill one prescription) and Walmart (where I fill the other one) are flooded. I was able to find a vet this morning who will be able to fill the first prescription on Monday, and hopefully the Walmart will open back up before the other one runs out - if not, I'll just have to doctor-shop! For heart meds for my cat! Sheesh.


I hope everybody reading this is warm and safe and dry. Thanks for your comments on the last post - I appreciate it.


Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

Becs said...

Microban for the smelly garage. You spray it, close it up for an hour, open it back up, and it's now treated for mold and mildew. And it will smell much better.

Badass Nature Girl said...

Glad you're okay! So nice of you to help the neighbor! Hope the med thing gets worked out easily enough!

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the tip, Becs.

And yeah, BNG, I'm still working on the meds thing.