Wednesday, January 06, 2010

It's all happenin' in my garage

The new* washer and dryer were delivered on New Year's Eve. I think the guys who did the delivery may have started celebrating a little early. But! No more laundromat! I'm livin' the dream, my friends.


I had to break up a cat fight at two in the morning the other night. When I heard the squalling, I flipped on the garage lights; my two came flying inside, and the other cat ran out the back pet door. Can't they all just get along?


The morning after the cat fight, I looked out in the garage to see The Runt and Little Girl sitting on top of my car, staring intently up into a corner. Great, I thought, there's a frickin' neighbor's cat up in the rafters. But no! - it was a grackle, who swooped out in relief when I opened the overhead door. I can't figure out if he got in under his own steam, or if one of the cats ......well ..... brought him in. In any case, he didn't seem any the worse for wear as he made his escape.


The Runt has developed an odd fascination with the garage insulation. One of the walls, which was insulated by the prior owner, was done with unfaced insulation, which means the insulation is exposed. (Can I use "insulation" one more time in that sentence? No? I didn't think so.) The Runt pulls little pieces of that insulation off the wall, wads them up and sits on them until I throw them away. I swear, it's like he's trying to build a nest or something. I've been covering up the sections of the wall that he can reach - it doesn't seem like that fiberglass can be doing him any favors.

Thanks to the grossly-oversized furnace installed by the previous owner, the car is nice and toasty every morning. I've discovered that winter is much easier to deal with when you don't have to scrape the ice and snow off your car first thing every day. Woot! Of course, I'll probably break down in bitter tears when I get my next utility bill. *sigh*


What's happenin' in your garage?





*Okay, okay, used. Heck, they're new to me!


What? What's that you say? How's that cold doing? Heh. I think I'm on the upswing, but I made the mistake of taking some pseudofed or however-the-hell-you-spell-it right before bed last night, and I was wired up like a gerbil on meth. No rest for the weary.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Using my own (well, used, but new to me!) washer and dryer is still the most consistently satisfying thing about being a home owner. I don't think it will ever lose its thrill, even though I am not all that excited about domestic labor itself. Just not having to hump all the clothes into the car and out of the car and into the car and out of the car again every friggin' week...

Exador said...

I was able to clear enough space in my garage (through a combination of throwing out junk, giving to charity and piling stuff on the other side of the garage) to get my truck in. It's a dream come true to go from the kitchen into a toasty car in the morning.
The only downside is that if I want to DO anything in the garage, I have to move the truck back out.

Laylabean said...

Your garage is much more exciting than mine! I couldn't tell you what's happening in mine, I haven't been in there for three weeks. The spring on the door broke and we had to pay for some medical stuff so we don't have the money to fix it right now. We're parking in the driveway and I have remembered how much I HATE scraping windshields. But, it's all good. At least it was just the garage door, there are a lot worse things that can break!

Fish Food said...

Our garage is full of stuff and Al's bike. Nothing else can fit in after that. Certainly, there is no room for an actual CAR.

Everything's smaller here!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine living in NY without a garage! I'm certainly spoiled.

In my garage? Not much is going on there. My friend and I were doing a workout regimen for 8 weeks that took place in there, but that ended last week. So, it's the cars chillin'.

I'm glad the bird got out okay. We had a bird that flew into the garage and would not leave. We kept chasing it around with a broom, but it still preferred the garage to the outdoors. Weird.