Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails

Has anyone else seen that Redi-Whip commercial? Where the lady's at the diner and wants whipped cream on her pie and the hostess is like, do you want that fake oil-saturated Cool Whip or do you want Redi-Whip made out of real whipped cream?


Now, I had never given much thought to dessert toppings, although honestly, I've always been a Cool Whip gal myself. Growing up, my Mom always made real honest-to-Pete whipped cream made out of heavy cream, but there's no way I'm going to all that trouble for myself, so Cool Whip it is.


But! After seeing the commercial describing Cool Whip as basically being made of things not found in nature, I thought I'd give Redi-Whip a try. I mean, come on, real whipped cream! The logistics of how they got real whipped cream jammed into an aerosol can and then managed to keep it stable long enough to get it to a store and sell it before the cream curdled were kind of troubling, but screw it. I bought a can.

Guys. Have you eaten any Redi-Whip lately?

That shit is nasty. I don't know what it's made out of, but if there is indeed real whipped cream in there, it was long ago overpowered by whatever chemicals they jam it with to get it to the table without spoiling. I swear to God, it tasted like metal. And other unpleasant things that you do not want to eat with your apple pie, for chrissakes.



Pass the Cool Whip, please. It may be equally chemical-laden, but at least it tastes good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Real whipped cream takes about a minute to make if you've got a mixer. No muss, no fuss, no bother.

Phil said...

Haha thats my take on life. Who cares whats in it as long as it tastes good.

rockygrace said...

How long is the shelf life on the real stuff, Bridgett? Just curious.

Phil, you and I think alike.