Friday, January 22, 2010

I think they're gonna need a bigger birdfeeder ....



These deer - momma plus twins - cruise my neighbor's birdfeeder every evening at dusk to see if they've filled it that day. I can't figure out why they didn't put the feeder in the fenced-in garden area (you can see the fence behind the deer).

What's funny is that these neighbors were complaining about ANOTHER neighbor who was allegedly feeding the deer (illegal in New York) - they're essentially doing the same thing by not moving the feeder.

The deer move through the park next to me, sometimes quite late. When I first moved in, I couldn't figure out why people in cars would pull up in front of my house and just sit there, idling. Traffic is light on my street, and I'm at the very end - often only one or two cars will go by in a night. So when the cars started idling out front, at first I was like, "oh, shit, I bought a drug house", but it turns out that they're just watching the deer in the park in their headlights.

Oh, and there's another big doe who comes around who does not like me AT ALL - last night she was stamping her feet and snorting at me. Back off, Bambi!

So far the most I've counted in the yard is seven - my neighbors say they've seen up to ten at a time.

Amazingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of deer poop in the yard, but then again, the snow could be covering it up. The spring thaw could get a little messy, is all I'm sayin'.

6 comments:

inflammatory writ said...

Deer are so beautiful. I guess being a city girl makes them more enchanting to me, but still!

rockygrace said...

They are awfully pretty, but I know I'll be cursing them this spring when they're eating my flowers down to the ground!

Heather said...

Man, when those deer are hungry enough they will just about eat anything. It is illegal to feed them where I live also. They can be real cute, if hubby would quit drooling over them!

Thanks for stopping by.

rockygrace said...

Hey, Heather, good to see you!

Heather said...

I have an award waiting for you over at my place.

rockygrace said...

Holy cow! I'll be right over!