Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Indian Giver

Way back about a million years ago, I won a Zune with a docking station on The Pioneer Woman's website. And honestly, I'm just not as into music as I once was, and what with one thing and another, I never took it out of the box. Sorry, Pioneer Woman!

I've been thinking for a while about giving it to someone who could actually use it. And Hack-Em-Up-Ed, one of the guys at work, helped me out when I was moving, and I know he's into music. So the other day, I asked him if he could use the Zune. Sure, he said, so I gave it to him.

I found out today that he's giving it to his wife for her birthday. And, oh my God, I'm not even kidding here - I found out because he asked me to WRAP IT for him.

Wait. What?

And here's the thing - I KNOW I shouldn't care what he does with it. But it just seems so ...... well ...... I don't know ....... CHEAP or something to take something that was given to you and give it to your WIFE as a GIFT like you went to the store and BOUGHT IT ...... and to ask the person who GAVE IT to you to WRAP IT UP so you could give it to your wife as a present ....

Am I off base here? I mean, this is totally a Hack-Em-Up-Ed kind of thing to do, but still ..... I feel like snatching that damn Zune back and giving it to someone else. Or, you know, telling Hack-Em-Up-Ed to shove the damn thing up his ass. I mean, obviously I'm not going to actually do that, but I sure feel like it.

What do you think?

6 comments:

~~Silk said...

Aw, give the guy a break. It's actually pretty sweet of him. Left to his own devices, he'd probably buy her two skeins of yarn, a nylon spatula, and a tube of purple lipstick. Give him credit for figuring out that his having a Zune, when he gave her a box of turnips, won't go over very well.

Wrapping is overwhelming, maybe he doesn't even know where to buy wrapping paper. Point him toward the card section of the closest large drugstore.

And you can know that you have made TWO people happy with one shot.

Rob said...

Off base? No. Most definitely not off base. I vote for shoving it up his ass.

Anonymous said...

Take it back! Yeah, tell him to wrap it himself since he didn't have to shop for it.

Fish Food said...

I don't even know what a Zune is, but I vote with you. It seems a little cheap and a little cheeky to ask you wrap it as well.

Take it back!!!

rockygrace said...

Silk, looks like you're a more generous spirit than the rest of us! Good for you!

Unknown said...

No. Say no.

Say it funny "You cheap bastard, I already gave you her gift...the least you could do (REALLY the least you could do) is wrap it."

Or say it curt: "To get it into the box that I've got, I'd have to take a hammer to it. You'd better do it yourself."

But in all cases, say no.