Thursday, November 12, 2009

Whoa-ho-holy shit

Okay, I admit it. I watched the clip from Oprah's show where that woman who got her face torn off by a chimp did the big reveal.

I'm not proud of it. I watched it on a clip show, and they gave plenty of warning, and I could have turned the channel.

But I didn't.

What is it in us, I wonder, that draws our attention to the train wreck? Why do we feel a compulsion to look, even though we know we shouldn't? Even though we know we'll feel ashamed of ourselves for doing so? We are taught as children not to stare, and yet we still do it as adults.

Having said that, I have to send kudos to that woman. Holy mother of God, she's got more courage than I will ever, ever have. Jeezus, to go through life knowing that you will never see again, that you have no hands, no face ...... man. I could not do that.

And here's what I probably should not think about, but I am - I wonder, if I were put in that position, if I would kill myself. If I would rather be dead than to know that the rest of my life would be a series of surgeries just trying to make me into something remotely resembling normal again. And knowing that I would always be blind, that I would have no freakin' hands, that my life as I knew it as a functioning human being was over.

Would I kill myself? Would my life be worth living? Obviously, this woman has found a purpose, a reason, to go on. And God bless her for it. I don't know if I could do the same.

What would you do?

3 comments:

inflammatory writ said...

Dear god. I just googled what you were talking about and literally gasped in horror.

Shoot me, please. I need to make special instructions in a living will - "In the rare event that a chimpanzee goes apeshit and yanks my face off, please kill me. Thx!". That's a stronger woman than I.

Rob said...

Yes, I wasn't going to look either, but I did anyway. I guess it's just human nature. I'm to chicken to kill myself, so I don't know what I'd do. Join the freak show? I don't think they have those anymore. She did have an amazing attitude though.

Fish Food said...

I just YouTubed the episode and couldn't watch more than about ten minutes. Poor woman.

Yup. Just shoot me.