Monday, November 23, 2009

Memento Mori

On Saturday, I was pawing through old photos at an antique store, and I saw one that caught my eye. I asked the store owner, "Is this one of those ...... coffin photos?"


"Post-mortem photography is actually the term, and, yep, that's what that is!", he said.


It was a photo of a dead guy. In his coffin. Surrounded by floral arrangements.


I bought it.


I'd seen photos like it on line, but I'd never actually held one. And I have no idea why, but it just kind of spoke to me. Sort of like the deer antlers. You see something, and you want to give it a home.

Oh, and I did finally hang the antlers - they're on the door frame between the living room and kitchen. Klassy. And maybe I'll hang the coffin photo above the antlers.

Which should be a big hit on Halloween, but I doubt I'll have much company the rest of the year. And someday when I make the news for having, I don't know, a house full of bones or something, you guys can all be, "I knew her back when she was just starting to go crazy!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to have a small collection of dead baby photos -- something about them and imagining the grief of the parents who felt like they needed a picture to hold on to whatever was left of their kid and then knowing that those parents were now dead and the kid was sitting around being forgotten in some dusty box...well, yeah. I get it.

Exador said...

I knew Bridgett back when she was just starting to go crazy.

rockygrace said...

Bridgett, what ever happened to the photos? Just curious.

And Ex, play nice. We all know how crazy YOUR family is!

Exador said...

You're one to talk.

;)

Happy First Thanksgiving in your NEW HOUSE.

rockygrace said...

Thanks, Exador!