Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Quel Dilemma

The stove in the new house is, well, pretty old. Judging by the color, I'm guessing 70s-vintage. It's supposedly self-cleaning, but I'm not sure I really want to test that particular function.

It works just fine, and there's only one problem: The drip pans (those metal bowls that go under the burner elements) are disgusting. They're covered in baked-on crud, and so old they've literally rusted. Problem #2 (I lied; there's more than one problem): The stove is so old that the burner elements aren't removable, meaning the drip pans are this funky-ass shape and not the normal drip pan shape.

I was at K-fart a few weeks back (I know! I HATE K-fart! I can't even remember why I was in there to begin with - it's like Walmart for zombies (brraaaaaiiiiinnnnsss)) and they had drip pans that would fit my stove. Of course they did, because the store hasn't been restocked since '78.

I wanted black porcelain, not the cheap-ass chrome. The black was, like, twenty bucks for a set, and the chrome was, like, twelve bucks, and because I am INCREDIBLY CHEAP, I decided to see if Walmart had them cheaper. Because let's face it, Walmart has everything cheaper, because it all comes from Chinese sweatshops and is made of used medical waste. I'd think twice before I bought any FOOD there, is all I'm saying.

Walmart did not have the drip pans. I went back to K-fart, and evidently they did their first restocking in thirty years, because they no longer had the drip pans either. Fine, I thought, I'll go on line.

Cheapest on-line price? FORTY BUCKS. And now I'm all, shiittttttt, I could buy a NEW STOVE for, like, three hundred bucks. Should I really blow forty bucks on f*cking drip pans? Especially since I could have gotten them for half that if I had just shelled out the money at K-fart to begin with and not been so goddam cheap?

Oh, the woe.

And be very, very glad you don't, like, live with me or anything, because peeps? I DO THIS SHIT ALL. THE. TIME.

*sigh*



(Oh, and hey, look at that! I just did my NaNoWriMo novel thing in one day! I wrote a book about drip pans! *cough*)

4 comments:

Rob said...

Just buy a new oven. What color is yours now? Harvest Gold or Avocado? Classic 70's colors!

Someone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fish Food said...

(Sorry, that deleted comment was me logged in as Al.)

I'm glad your NaNoWriMo was so readable and entertaining! It's nothing like mine at all!

rockygrace said...

Rob, it's the Harvest Gold. Which is better than the Avocado, but just barely. At least it's not Burnt Orange.

And Fish Food, are you really doing NaNoWriMo? Good for you!