Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Help me, O wise Internet

The previous owner of my house had the washer and dryer in the garage. When I asked him, at the closing, if he had problems with the washer freezing up in the winter, he kind of hemmed and hawed and avoided the question. So, I am assuming that yes, the washer froze up.

So! I have a choice. I have been told that if I finish insulating the garage (a couple of the walls are insulated; a couple are not), I should be able to have a washer out there. And the furnace, which is in the garage, has a vent on the side so I could heat up the garage before I did laundry. Or, I can buy an apartment-sized (portable) washer and keep it in the kitchen; you know, the kind you hook up to the sink.

I don't really want an apartment-sized washer; I want a big one. But a full-size would have to go in the garage (that's where the hookups are), meaning I would have to find someone to do the insulation. And here's another problem: I know some guys who are unfortunately out of work and would be glad to help me out for cheap, but, well ....... they're drunks. As in, drunk-by-noon drunks.* And as someone who used to be involved with a drunk, it makes me really, REALLY uncomfortable to be around a hard-core drunk.

I could try to hang the insulation myself; is it hard to do? I'd probably buy those rolls; how do you get it to stick? Do you nail it to the walls? Oh, and if this involves any tools that could possibly injure me (power saw, nail gun) all bets are off. I know my limits. Should I just say screw it and buy the apartment sized washer? Could I buy a full-size washer, put it in the kitchen, and run a water hookup through the wall to the adjacent garage?

Questions. I haz them.



*Maybe that's why they're unemployed? Hmmmm.....

4 comments:

Exador said...

The pink insulation is easy to put up (with staples). You'll need a staple gun, but they're cheap at Home Depot. Measure the distance between the studs. The insulation comes in widths that will fit right between them with paper overhangs for stapling to the studs.

The negative: The insulation will irritate and itch any skin it touches. You'll need a long sleeve shirt, gloves, etc. Turtleneck would be best. Cover everything.
Air filter mask (also cheap one at home depot is fine).
Some people wear goggles, but I never needed them, especially in an area as big as a garage.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the advice, Ex!

I find I'm spending more money at Home Depot than I EVER did at the mall. But I guess that's a good thing.

Unknown said...

Ex has this one covered. Insulation is about the easiest thing to do, but if
you don't cover it with drywall, prepare to have mice who will try to build nests in the fluff. This is where your kitties will earn their keep.

Unknown said...

Oh, and drunks is no good for home repair. Trust me, they either fuck it up or they wander away halfway through. This is a DIY situation.