Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh, this is just ALL KINDS of unfair

The New York Jets are going to be holding their summer training camp at SUNY Cortland this year. And the Great State of New York, led by the illustrious Governor Paterson, is contributing $410,000.00 in grants from a "discretionary fund" to upgrade facilities and help SUNY defer the costs of hosting the team.

The last I knew, the NFL was not a charity. I'm pretty sure the Jets can pay their own way. ALSO the last I knew, this state was in dire financial difficulties. Taxes are increasing, state jobs are going unfilled, and the STAR rebate program, which helped homeowners pay their school taxes, was cut entirely.

And yet the f*cking New York Jets are getting $410,000.00 for a training camp?!

I shoulda been a football player.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you hadn't told me this. That's just what a professional sports team needs--more money. If that money is just floating around for the taking, I'll be happy to find a place to spend it. I'm sure their reasoning is that having a professional football team in a town will generate revenue from people wanting to come and visit, but still...I can't stand where we place our priorities. Ugh!

rockygrace said...

You know, I used to stick up for Governor Paterson, but not anymore. He's been bitching and moaning and crying about how broke the state is, and he goes and signs off on THIS?! Bah.