Monday, January 12, 2009

Repurposing

Yesterday, I finally took down my Christmas tree. (I know, I KNOW.) I dragged it out to the curb for the town to come and pick up.

Here's a weird thing: While the town, technically, will come around eventually and pick up the trees, they almost never pick up MY tree. Because there is some guy with a pickup who comes around and gets my tree, and those of my neighbors, before the town comes. I know; I've seen him tree-nabbing. And I've always kind of wondered what he did with the trees; shredded them and used them for mulch, I figured.

Yesterday, I looked out the window not fifteen minutes after I put the tree to the curb, and it was already gone. "Wow", I thought, "that dude was fast this year!" But then I looked a little further, across the street to my neighbor's house, and there was my tree, inserted into a snowbank so it looked like it was growing there. And then I noticed a couple more new pine trees in my neighbor's yard; evidently their teenage kids had decided to do a little exterior decorating, which is way cool.

I just wonder what they're going to do with the trees when the snow melts; call the tree-nabber, maybe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My (artificial) Christmas tree is still up. I'm thinking about just taking it to the basement ornaments and all and just sticking a trashbag over top of it to keep the dust off.

Can you tell everyone in the household loves putting up the tree but doesn't really want to help me take it down?