Wednesday, September 03, 2008

It Ain't Me, Babe

Last night I monkeyed and monkeyed and MONKEYED with that damn DVD/VCR, and finally realized it was time to call - dun dun DUNNNNN - the dreaded "customer service".

So I grabbed a beer and some food and settled in, 'cause you know how that goes - first you spend an hour on hold, then you try to explain your problem to someone who does not speak English. Good times!

I dialed Magnavox customer service, got put on hold, held for about five minutes - and then the call was disconnected. Oh no, Magnavox, you're not gonna get rid of me that easy.

I called back, got put on hold, and after about ten minutes, I got a real live person. Yay! And - get ready for this - he spoke English. A flippin' miracle!

So we went through the way I had everything all hooked up, and the way I was programming the unit to timer record, and the L1/L2 option, and the RF modulator hookup, and blah-di-blah-di-blah, and finally he said, "You've got a defective unit."

And I actually laughed, did a fist pump, and said, "Yessssssss!" Because, for once, it wasn't ME screwing shit up. It was the machine!

So I asked Carlos what my options were, and he explained that the easiest thing for me would probably be to just take it back to the store, but if that would be an inconvenience, they would SEND SOMEONE TO MY HOUSE to pick up the unit (all sixty bucks worth, mind you) and arrange to ship me a new one.

Oh Magnavox, I love you. Truly. Your electronics suck, but your customer service is aces.

No comments: