Thursday, September 11, 2008

DVD/VCR - The Saga Goes On

So! I wrote earlier about my purchase of a DVD/VCR that turned out to be defective, as opposed to me being too stupid to figure out how to use it.

I returned that one to Crapmart, and then went to Target and picked up one made by another manufacturer. I got that one home, opened up the box, and started looking at the instructions before I took the unit out of the box. (I may be a slow learner, but I do learn.) Nowhere in the instructions could I find any info about VCR timer recording, so I called customer service (and once more got someone who spoke English - it's amazing!), and sure enough, this unit did not timer record. SIGH. And at this point I'm starting to think, "Oh, for Christ's sake, just cough up the money for a DVR and crawl out of the Stone Age, already." Yet! I resisted.

Oh! And while all this DVD/VCR shuffling was going on, there was a movie I wanted to watch. So I hooked up my old DVD player to watch the movie. Which got STUCK in the DVD player. Seriously. When I went to eject it after watching the movie, the little shelf would not come out of the player. I ended up having to disassemble the DVD player to get the damn DVD out. And all the while, I'm panicking, because it was a Netflix DVD, and OMG they would send the DVD police after me if I couldn't get it out of the player. Waaaaaaaah!

And I also managed to kill two alarm clocks during this period. I think I'm emitting some kind of weird electronics-destroying force field.

But! Back to the story! So I took DVD/VCR #2 back to Target, and picked up yet another model by yet another manufacturer. This time I had a salesperson open up the box in the store, so I could look through the instructions and see if it would timer record. (See? SEE? I am LEARNING!)

Yippee! This unit did offer timer recording, so I bought it, took it home, hooked it up, did a timer recording, and ............ yeeesssssss!! It works! I'm so excited! Now I can once again tape those pesky Austin City Limits shows that don't come on until eleven!

Oh, and by the way, right now I have a TV, a cable converter box, an RF modulator, and a DVD/VCR combo all hooked up happily together. And I am pretty sure that there is more wiring in my living room than there is in the nose cone of the space shuttle.

2 comments:

Exador said...

You have an RF Modulator?

rockygrace said...

Yep. Is that a problem? :)