Tuesday, July 08, 2008

What the Hell IS This?!

Okay, first, a lovely bluebird, down by the creek. See it? Right there in the middle of the picture? Oh, I love bluebirds. And they are relatively uncommon in this area, so seeing them is always a treat. WARNING: Do not scroll past the bluebird if you are squeamish about bugs. You've been warned.




Next up: WHHHHHAAAATTTT??




Oh my gah, what the holy hell omfg IS THAT?? It's about an inch long, with an insect-like face and scrabbly thick legs and lacy WINGS and an OPEN WHITE SPOT on its back, like it's missing a piece of armor or something. Very slow to move - it just sat there and waved its legs around while I took pics.

Somebody please tell me what the hell that thing is, and that it's part of the natural order here on Earth, because it sure looks like some kind of funky alien species to me.

7 comments:

Flea said...

Oh. My. Word. No freakin' idea. The kids don't know either. And there probably IS a piece of missing armor. EW!!!

Poetry Echoes said...

So..., did you kill it after you took the pic? It's a U.F.I., of course.

Unknown said...

It's some kind of dragonfly, I think, because of the Tiffany-esque wings, time of year, and location you sighted it in. There's a bazillion species of dragonflies and I don't know for sure which one you've got. You always could ask the people at http://www.whatsthatbug.com.

rockygrace said...

Flea, thanks for the valiant effort on behalf of you and your kids.

Kerri, may I assume U.F.I. stands for Unidentified Flying Insect?

And Bridgett, I am going directly to whatsthatbug.com. Thanks!

Unknown said...

On further thought and research, I think it's probably an annual cicada.

Check this bugger out:

http://www.indiana.edu/~preserve/research/CicadasPres/slide03a.html

~~Silk said...

It's likely some variety of horse fly or deer fly. The Three-spot Horse Fly has three spots similar to the one spot on this guy. The males eat nectar. The females bite mammals and lap up the blood.

I can't find any that have the distinctive wing patterns of this one, but the body size and shape fit the group.

~~Silk said...

(Cicadas are generally bulkier and more colorful, and hold their wings closer to their body. Very bad fliers. And you always know when cicadas are around - NOISE!)