Thursday, July 10, 2008

Shark, Jumped

Actually, I don't think it can count as jumping the shark if the show sucked from the very beginning.

But hey! Did I call it or what?! I'm talking about "As the Wrench Turns", the new animated series on PBS featuring the guys from the NPR show "Car Talk".

Did anybody besides me attempt to watch this train wreck? No? I didn't think so. Actually, it was EVEN WORSE than I imagined, if that's even possible. Honestly, I could only watch a minute or two at a time before my head started to hurt and I had to change the channel. But then I kept switching BACK, like maybe a miracle had occurred in the last few minutes and the show suddenly got good. Nope, didn't happen.

But! I finally popped in a tape (I know, I KNOW! I am ancient!) of the series "Carrier", also presented by PBS. It's about life aboard the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, and it is absolutely fascinating. THIS is the kind of interesting, in-depth thing PBS does extremely well.

So! I watched (as much as I could stand of) "As the Wrench Turns", so you don't have to, and I can confirm that it's truly, truly bad. And if you want to catch PBS at its best, check out "Carrier".

Oh! And don't let me forget to tell you about the time I auditioned for the Air Force Band. True story!

No comments: