Monday, July 28, 2008

Fun With Alzheimer's!

I picked up my Mom the other day so we could go to the flea market, and she insisted on taking her bathrobe along, calling it her "coat".

I could have corrected her, but I didn't. I mean, it's the flea market, for Pete's sake! Even with a bathrobe, she's still not gonna look any stranger than 90% of the people already there.

One thing that flips some members of my family out, and I can't seem to get worked up over, are Mom's pants. She insists on wearing pants of the extreme high-water variety. If, by chance, she should happen to put on a pair of pants that are actually the correct length, that is, not showing several inches of ankle/shin, she rolls them up until she is sure that they are the correct length, i.e., "the flood's a comin'!"

As I said, I just can't get myself worked up over this. She's 84 years old, her husband's dead, and she's got Alzheimer's disease. Life's dealt her a pretty shitty hand lately, and if she wants to go out in public in pants so short that they're practically capris, that's ok by me. And besides, I've been noticing an awful lot of old ladies lately wearing pants that are way too short. Is it some kind of octogenarian fashion statement? I have no idea, but at least Mom's not alone in her fashion sense.

3 comments:

listie said...

Oh, Rocky, I'm sorry. But, I think you're taking the right approach. What's the harm in short pants and bathrobes?

I wish my mother would admit she can't hear and her eyesight stinks. She's always going out with stains all over her clothes. I know she can't see them. She used to be such a careful dresser. I don't know if it's kinder to point them out or just let her go.

Unknown said...

She might not want to trip on her hems. Also, keep in mind that in the 40s, 50s, and part of the 60s, cigarette pants (ankle length or shorter, tight at the cuffs) were very popular and they are back in style.

As you say, big whoop. Let the woman wear a flowered swimcap and a beauty queen sash if she wants to -- enjoy her while you have her, however you've got her.

rockygrace said...

Well said, guys!