Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Hitchhiker

Last Tuesday, I went to Greenwood Park. A local summer camp was having a day program there, and so the lake was full of children. SCREAMING children.


Now, I have written before about screamers. Kids who are in serious need of a reset of their "on/off" switch. Imagine a whole lake full of them. Imagine that lake surrounded by lovely rolling hills which were echoing the sound. It was bedlam. And you know, I was thinking, "I'll bet the lifeguards are wearing earplugs", but then I realized that they probably are not allowed to wear earplugs, so that they can hear if a swimmer calls for help. And then I wondered how they would even hear anyone calling for help anyway, what with the decibel level of the screaming and all. And then I hiked further into the woods, to get away from the goddam screaming kids.


When I got back to my car, I found that I had gained a little friend:




This little bee, heavy with pollen, was resting comfortably on one of my hiking boots. I think he was trying to hitch a ride to get away from the screaming children. I gently shook him onto the grass. After all, if he wants to get away, all he needs to do is spread his wings and fly.

No comments: