Monday, April 14, 2014

Weekend



Oh lord, where to start?  Friday night I watched Kitchen Nightmares, which I usually avoid, but they were showing a return to Amy's Baking Company, i.e., the only restaurant Gordon Ramsay ever flat-out gave up on.  On the one hand, it seems kind of rude to voyeur-in on someone else's obvious batsh*t-craziness, but on the other hand, I practically fell off my chair when she started imitating her cats' "voices". 

Let's see, Saturday I had to take back the loaner and pick up my car from the dealership.  Which was kind of sad, because the loaner, a Sonata, is MUCH NICER than my Elantra.  Best part?  The satellite radio, which means that you basically have access to every song ever recorded.  I mean, they have an entire station of nothing but Billy Joel!  Which would be awesome, except, well, his back catalog isn't that deep, which means they were playing more or less everything he ever put out, even the clunkers, several times a day.  I can only listen to "Uptown Girl" so many times.  It wasn't that great of a song to begin with.

Saturday afternoon was move-the-furniture day, where I jenga'd stuff in the spare room so that Pony could safely step up and look out the window.  Yep, that's right - no more crate for ol' Pony.  He is relishing his freedom by standing by the bedroom door and squeaking indignantly about the unjustness of being confined to one room.

 Oh, and on Saturday, I ate an entire chocolate Easter bunny for lunch.  I ... have no defense for that particular move.  I was hungry?

Sunday was state park.  And

IT     WAS     TURTLE    DAY!!!!

Every year, there comes that first warm day in mid-April, when all the turtles come up out of their mud beds to view the world again.  I love Turtle Day.  It's kind of hard to tell, but there are approximately nine billion turtles in this pic.  You might be able to double-click to enlarge it (let me know how that works out):



After that it was time for a baby-size soft-serve vanilla cone with blue raspberry dip at Jones' Humdinger Ice Cream.  I'm pretty sure nothing that came from nature was involved in that cone, but damn, it tasted good.

and THEN it was off to the Thrifty Shopper for the fifty! percent! off! sale.  I'll save that for another post.

Sunday afternoon it was time to rake all the godforsaken willow branches from the backyard.  But first, I had to bring my supervisor out to oversee the work:





That's Pony, chillin' in his crate, with Tinks outside the Big House looking in.

The lilacs are budding out, the daylilies are popping up, and we're supposed to get snow tomorrow night.  Spring has arrived.






5 comments:

Robyn said...

I LOVE turtles! We have one (well, one that we've seen - there are probably more than that) in our pond, and I love it when I go out there, and it pops up and floats there, waiting for me to feed the catfish.

Pony looks very pleased with himself in his supervisory crate.

Domestic Kate said...

I counted about 7 turtles--2 of whom were mating? Niiice.

fmcgmccllc said...

We got our snow last night, only a couple inches and only on the grass, but still.

rockygrace said...

Robyn, I cannot wait for the day when they bring back dime-store turtles. Remember those - the little bitty ones that stayed small? Oh wait, you're probably too young to remember that. :)

Kate, yep, come here for the kitties, stay for the turtle p*rn.

and fmcetc., your snow is headed our way. Thanks. A lot.

James P. said...

Robin, who knew that turtles were bright enough to wait for potential food from a person? I never thought about it, but now I'm impressed........Ginny