Friday, April 11, 2014

Five years



In all of the hubbub surrounding Ponyboy last week, a milestone passed by pretty much unnoticed.

Last Thursday marked the five-year anniversary of the day I quit smoking.

Shall we run the numbers one last time?

Number of cigarettes I would have smoked between April 3, 2009 and today, had I not stopped smoking on that date: 54,750.00. (!)

Amount of money saved:  $9,763.75. (Just to clarify: I smoked cheap cigs I bought on line. Had I been buying name-brand smokes at the 7-11, that number would have easily been double. And using today's cost-per-pack, you could triple that amount.  I used a figure of $3.56 a pack, since that's what my cigs cost at the time I quit.)

What can I say?  I'm a quitter.





10 comments:

James P. said...

Don't think your readers care anything about the money aspect of this.....We care about YOU. Proud of you, too.

Ginny

Becs said...

Yay! Congratulations! And Pony is here to see that the spare money doesn't go to waste. (Poor baby, hope he's feeling better.)

Mama D said...

Congratulations on year five! Tough habit to kick; good for you.

rockygrace said...

Thanks, guys. I always say, if I can do it, ANYBODY can. Ha.

and Becs, yeah, not-smoking is one of the reasons I was able to afford Pony's surgery! And he is doing really, really well. He's off the pain meds as of yesterday. He has a checkup on Tuesday and we'll go from there.

James P. said...

Hooray for the Bounce-Back Cat, healing so well. Now all he needs is a side toupee...........Ginny

James P. said...

Earlier I sounded like somebody's mom......Sorry.....Good point about the money being around to finance kitty surgery.

Domestic Kate said...

This is such a powerful reminder of the daily financial decisions that add up over time. I don't want to single out smoking, but it's an obvious one. I don't know anybody who couldn't use $10,000.

bridgett said...

Holy smokes! (so's to speak...) Has it really been five years? Crazy how time flies. Congratulations!

fmcgmccllc said...

Congrats, I use you as my non-smoking role model. That and I swear if I get all this weight off I never want to lose it again. Today is 2 years for me.

rockygrace said...

aww, Ginny, you can Mom me anytime you want. :)

and Kate, yeah, me and Pony split the money. Ha.

bridgett, thanks for the congrats! And yeah, where DOES the time go? Now I'm thinking that if I'd gone back to school at the same time, I'd have a degree by now!

fmcetc., two years is awesome. Awesome! And yeah, like any tough effort, one only wants to have to do it once, thankyouverymuch.