Thursday, April 03, 2014

Ponyboy Update




Ponyboy is doing well today.  He is still at the vet's, under sedation.   They will start weaning him off the major painkillers this afternoon, and if all goes well, he will be coming home tomorrow.

And as an aside, you KNOW you're in trouble, wallet-wise, when you pull in to the emergency vet's parking lot at 1:30 in the morning and find the vet already there, waiting for you ...

... in his Mercedes.

yep, looks like those emergency calls really pay off!

In any event, I lucked out in that the vet on call in this area that night was the respected owner of his own practice.  And once we got to Ithaca, the orthopedic surgeon who operated on Pony was the owner of HIS practice, so Pony got treatment from head kahunas all the way.

So!  Pony will be crated in a large dog crate for at least the first several days of an expected six-to-eight week recovery time.  After that, he will be confined to one room, from which I have to remove ALL of the furniture, so that he can't jump up on anything and risk a re-injury.  Which also means no window view, so I am planning on crating him in a small crate a couple of times a day and moving him onto the dresser in my bedroom, so he can view his future bird victims.  I am currently trying to re-home the marrrrvelous Craftmatic adjustable bed in the spare room, as it weighs a metric sh*t-ton and I have no place to store it, anyway.  So if you know of anyone in the upstate New York area who could use a like-new, twin-size, fully functioning adjustable bed, please send them my way!

No, I'm not putting it on Craigslist.  My nerves are shredded right now, and I have absolutely no time or energy to expend on the Craigslist Crazy Contingent.

The other cats know something's up - they are restless, and not eating much, and if Pony could see them, he'd be all, "How DARE they waste perfectly good canned food!"  Oh!  Speaking of which, they hand-fed Pony this morning, because sometimes cats on narcotics lose their appetite and stop eating, so injury aside, Pony is basically living the life of Riley right now.

I'll update again as soon as I have more news.  And thanks again for all your support - you guys are the BEST.




2 comments:

James P. said...

Glad to see this news, for sure.

Mama D said...

Very glad he's going to be ok!