Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sadly, I cannot recommend this method




I had to weigh myself at work yesterday in order to figure out the shipping weight for a FedEx package (don't ask), and I discovered that I've lost seven pounds since the last time I was weighed.  Two weeks ago.

Normally, I'd be all, "whoo-hoo!  Stomach bug for the win!", but oh, MAN, this stomach bug is kicking my butt.  (I was going to put "Literally." right here, but I will refrain. You're welcome.)  I finally decided to double down with the meds, taking both Pepto AND Immodium and ... yeah. No. Blergh.

I mean, I COULD go to the doctor, but I've BEEN to the doctor for this exact same thing before, and all he'll tell me is to eat a bland diet and wait it out.  So I am waiting.  and waiting.  and waiting.

And!  You know how it is when you're sick, and nothing tastes good,  most certainly NOT the BRAT diet that the doctor recommends, and you keep trying and trying and TRYING to think of something yummy to eat?  Yesterday, I kept trying to think of something good, and you know what my whack-a** mind finally settled on?

Fried chicken.  and pasta salad.

Yerrrrp.  Greasy, crispy-skinned fried chicken, and oily, hot-peppered pasta salad.  THAT is what my insane mind decided would taste good, as my stomach churned in protest.

So I bought some.  I even went with the store-made fried chicken, instead of the Banquet boxed crap I usually buy.  And I bought store-made pasta salad, too, instead of the Suddenly Salad boxed stuff I usually cheap out on.

See what getting a raise does to you?  It makes you throw your money around like a mad woman, is what it does.

So!  I ate that fried chicken and that pasta salad last night, and my poor, riled-up stomach said, "Eh.  Whatever.  I'm so sick right now that a little grease and oil ain't gonna make any difference."  Rock on, fried chicken! 

But today?  Today the THOUGHT of fried chicken is making me want to hurl.  Today I'm thinking ice cream ...


4 comments:

James P. said...

You've been talking about this for days.....Are you sure it's a "bug"? Is there fever involved? Something doesn't sound right. Do your "innards" go crazy when you are particularly stressed out? Is this my business? No. ........Ginny

Domestic Kate said...

Just eat what sounds good. If you try to eat something that doesn't sound good to you, it'll probably make you feel worse. My guess would be that you're craving high-calorie foods because your body needs the energy after having lost a lot of it. That happened to me a couple years ago with a stomach bug. At some point, rice and chicken broth didn't cut it, and I just said to hell with it. Whether I ate rice or french fries, the result was the same.

~~Silk said...

When a doctor says "Wait it out", they usually mean a few days, not weeks. Maybe it's time to kick start the doctor and find out exactly what's going on in there? (And yeah, as Kate implies, that BRAT diet, even with other bland stuff added in, is missing a bunch energy-supplying nutrients. You may be breaking down muscle.)

rockygrace said...

Ginny and ~~Silk, thanks for your concern. If I ever come down with a case of this that refuses to go away, I'll definitely pursue options, but I've had a touchy stomach since I was a kid. I've had my share of barium milkshakes. Just one of those things. I've never had an upset go past ten days, and if I do, I'll hit up the doc again.

and Kate, yeah, if I never see plain toast again, it'll be too soon. Tonight I had pizza. Take THAT, finicky stomach!