Friday, May 10, 2013

Carpet of the sun



Half of the year, my back-backyard looks like this:


(The other half of the year, it's covered with snow. *sigh*)

But every spring, invaders appear:


See those spiky little things sticking up out of the lawn?

They turn into THIS:




The pictures don't do it justice - it's like a SEA of pinkish-purple flowers.  The cats LOVE to skulk around in there - last night they captured a garter snake, which I (gingerly) rescued and tossed into the woods.  And by the time the flowers die, the grass will be so high that I'll probably have to weedwhack it before I can mow, but I don't care.

It's beautiful.


4 comments:

fmcgmccllc said...

That is beautiful.

James P. said...

That's the kind of scene that gets people through the day......Ginny

rockygrace said...

Tonight, I had the first hummingbird sighting of the year at the feeder. Because I have cats, hummingbirds are the only birds I feed - they are waaaaaay too fast for the cats to catch.

Hummingbirds are actually fascinating to watch - they are very territorial and will have mid-air wars to establish who gets use the feeder first. It's very cool.

James P. said...

When we were stationed in Panama, there was a scissor-tailed hummingbird that had staked out the feeder by the door......He just sat there and ran off all the other kinds of hummingbirds. Swine........Ginny