Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tucker

Two weeks ago, one of the crazy cat ladies with whom I volunteer had one of her cats go missing.

The cat, Tucker, was always an indoor-outdoor cat, but on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, he went outside and didn't come back in.

She asked for advice on finding him and I offered some, having been through a few heart-pounding missing-cat episodes of my own.  Search the area, calling and shaking a bag of cat food.  Look down under shrubs and up into trees.  Immediately plaster the area with posters, because SOMEONE has seen him.   Have your neighbors check their sheds and garages.  Bribe the neighborhood kids with a cash reward for any sightings.  Talk to the mailman.  Check the shoulders of local roads, and call the highway department (don't make me go into detail on that one). Call the shelters.  Put it on Craigslist.  The typical stuff.

I told her about The Runt, who was once up a tree for three days.  About another volunteer whose cat came home after eight days.  About yet another volunteer whose cat wandered home after three MONTHS.

And we all waited for news.  As the weather got colder and the days got shorter and that one night we got an absolutely soaking rain, we waited for news of Tucker.  Hoping for the best, but wondering in the back of our minds if the worst hadn't already happened.

Yesterday on Facebook, after fifteen days, there was news.

"Tucker Kitty CAME HOME!"

Goddamit, I LOVE a happy ending.



8 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

That is good news! It was about this time of year that my kitty Lupe didn't come home. She always always came home at night, and it was pretty chilly that night too. I hoped she had gotten stuck in someone's garage or shed like you said, but no. The worst had happened. So, I'm happy to hear Tucker is safe and sound and back home with mama.

rockygrace said...

Goddamit, Kate, I HATE a sad ending. :(

Birdie said...

Ha! I was just going to say my Norbert went missing for 15 days. He came home filthy and thinner so I suspect he was close to home and was just too scared to come out.

~~Silk said...

Hmmmm. Did he have lipstick on his collar?

Becs said...

The rescue group I worked with returned a cat home...two years after he'd gone missing.

rockygrace said...

Birdie, Yay for Norbert! Like ~~Silk, I wonder where he was ...

and Becs, TWO YEARS?! How far from home was he when he was found?

I LOVE happy endings!

Becs said...

He was about six miles from his original home. Apparently they had taken him with them when they moved about ten miles away. How he navigated some of those roads, I'll never know. I do wonder, though, exactly how happy they were to see him. It was my yard he showed up in. He fit perfectly into my household and if the owners didn't want him, I would have been very happy to have kept him.

rockygrace said...

Becs, that's a sweet story. I hope they were really, really glad to see him.