Friday, December 21, 2012

It's all about the food. Duh.

To me, the holidays are all about the food.  I'm not religious, so they're not about God.  I'm not real close to most of my family, so it's not about them.

It's about the food.  The glorious, glorious food.

It started a couple of weeks ago, with a fundraising bake sale.

I have never in the history of the world managed to get my butt out of bed early enough on a Saturday morning to have breakfast before one of our rescue group's events, so volunteering to work a bake sale is a win-win.  I get to contribute AND have cookies for breakfast.

And one of our volunteers is a fanTAStic baker, so there's linzer cookies and chocolate-dipped oreos and those Italian waffle-iron cookies and hoo boy do I eat. 

The following weekend, there was ANOTHER bake sale.

And as we packed up the tables and chairs from THAT one, the fantastic baker volunteer presented me with a giant PLATTER of cookies.  Like, a MOUNTAIN of cookies.  Just for ME.

That afternoon, I realized that not even *I* was going to be able to eat that many cookies, so the following morning, I packed some into gift bags and gave them to my neighbors.

Yes, the re-gifting has already begun.  Say it with food!

But it's not all about the cookies.

This Christmas, I am going to be having shrimp.  And nachos.  And pizza.  And those little hot dogs in barbecue sauce.  And something called "sausage balls", which I have never had before (SHUT UP), but I saw them in Walmart and was powerless to resist.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure Velveeta will be involved at some point.  It's just not Christmas without Velveeta in there somewhere.

How about you?  What's your favorite holiday food?

4 comments:

Becs said...

Believe it or not, Claxton Fruit Cakes. Send them to me, the little rectangular ones you don't want. Actually, a little goes a long way, so never mind.

Also, organic egg nog with a wee drop of Jamieson's Irish Whisk(e?)y,

rockygrace said...

Becs, I've never really understood the animosity toward fruitcake. I mean, I've never actually tried it, but it doesn't LOOK inherently evil.

and spiked egg nog sounds mighty fine right about now.

~~Silk said...

Yum. Fruitcake from a monastery, brandy soaked, warmed or toasted slices, slathered in butter. Not every year - every second or third year.

A big unsliced southern sugar-cured ham, scored and studded with cloves, with cherries and pineapple slices stapled on with cloves, all coated in a thick ketchup-mustard-cinnamon-brown sugar-fruit juice glaze, heated quickly so the glaze gets crispy to seal in the juices, then baked slowly so the clove juice soaks in. Cut in chunks, not slices.

rockygrace said...

Yum, ~~Silk, now I'm hungry ...