Friday, December 14, 2012

Gene ValGene

Hell, French class was a long time ago. 

I've been thinking about going to see the movie version of Les Miserables on Christmas day.  The LAST time I went to the movies on Christmas I saw "I am Legend", which, yeah, not so great a holiday choice.

So anyway, last night, TCM was showing the 1935 version, which I thought I'd watch, because I wanted to get myself caught up since it's been a while since I read the book, and may I say, the 1935 version does an admirable job of boiling down a long-ass, confusing book into the essentials, which I do appreciate. Two thumbs up.

I assume that Anne (I see London I see France I see you ain't got no underpants) Hathaway, who has been featured prominently at all of the premieres,  is playing Cosette.  Whyyyyyyy can't movie stars wear undies?  Don't they get tired of the updrafts in their evening gowns?

But wait!  According to IMDB, Anne Hathaway is playing ... Fantine?  And Amanda somebody is playing Cosette?  But aren't those actresses, like ... the same age?  And isn't Fantine Cosette's MOTHER? 

Okay, now I'm just confused. 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They don't wear underwear because they don't want gossip columnists to say snarky things about their panty lines. I thought that her response to Matt Lauer about it was actually fairly classy, under the (obviously embarrassing) circumstances.

-bridgett

rockygrace said...

bridgett, I thought that's what Spanx was for!

Anne Hathaway ... every time I've seen or heard an interview with her, it's always like she's just barely holding it together ... Like, one more stupid question and she's gonna go postal. You can practically SEE her gritting her teeth.

I feel like telling her, "Honey, publicity is part of your JOB. Get over yourself. You're not Sean Penn, for christsakes." And put on some damn underwear, obv. Or Spanx. Your choice.

the queen said...

I was moments from watching that on TCM last night myself. Then Greys Anatomy came on.

Becs said...

I went to see "Dog Day Afternoon" on the Christmas after my grandma died. Not a good choice.

rockygrace said...

queen, I'm sure it'll be on again. ha.

and Becs, yeah, not a great choice. Now I'm trying to think of what the worst possible movie to see on Christmas would be.