Saturday, September 15, 2012

Today's adoption event

People love to look at kittens:




I told the other volunteer today that we should put up a sign: "Babysitting $50.00 an hour". You'd be amazed at the number of people who will just park their kids in front of the cages and then go do their shopping.


Dogpile ... er ... kittenpile:





We had a good day today, adoption-wise: Two kittens, who are being adopted together, and one adult cat. One adoption that was supposed to happen today did not, when the people in question did not show up, but we still came out ahead.


It's gotten to the point now where we're literally GIVING them away - Kittens are adopt one, get one free, and the adoption fee for adult cats is a buck. A BUCK.


Obviously, we can't keep doing that, but we're heading into the winter months with waaaaaay too many cats and blahblahblah SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS, PEOPLE.


Anybody want some cats? They're on sale!

7 comments:

Becs said...

Do you have any big sweet orange cats with a white stripe down his nose and a white bib?

rockygrace said...

Aw, Becs. Sounds like you're missing someone ... We DO have one big sweet orange cat, a rescue from last year's floods, but she's a girl, and while she's got a white bib, she's got no stripe down her nose. But she gets along great with other cats!

We've got LOTS of cats ... ha ...

Domestic Kate said...

I'd snatch one up if I were there--a dollar! And I always joke that I got Kira on clearance for $30.

You might have mentioned this in another post (sorry), but do you ever get any media coverage for your adoption events? It seems right up the local news' alley. Maybe a press release?

Or! You could make some signs that say, "Be the crazy cat lady you've always wanted to be!"

rockygrace said...

Kris, yep, we've been on the local news! They came out for our rummage sale/adoption event/bake sale extravaganza a couple of weeks ago.

And I love the idea of crazy cat lady signs! Although that might scare some people away ... :)

Becs said...

Rocky, I've missed my marmalade boy, Saffie, since he died ten years ago. I raised him from a kitten but when I left my ex's house, he wouldn't let Saffie go with me. The cat died a year later after Xman brought in strays with FIP.

Yes, I miss Saffie.

rockygrace said...

I'm sorry, Becs.

You may be glad to know that the orange cat I spoke of in the comment above, who had been in foster care for a YEAR, was adopted yesterday. She's finally got a home.

Becs said...

Rocky - Phew! What a relief! I'm happy for all of us, especially since Sam is back in his come and go phase.