Monday, September 03, 2012

Okay, so, about the statue ...

The rescue group rented out a VFW hall for our latest rummage sale/bake sale/kitten adoption event. Friday night, I cut out of work early to go help unpack items people had donated to us and get set up for Saturday's sale.

And I'm working away, unpacking flower vases and VHS tapes and old cameras and all of the stuff that gets donated to rummage sales, when I come across a little statue.

You know, one of those reproduction-of-a-famous-statue statues, about 8" high. The ones you run across in antiques stores all the time. Think Michelangelo's "Moses", writ small.

I took a closer look at it, because it wasn't immediately apparent to me which famous statue it was actually imitating, and saw that it was two men wrestling. Violently wrestling. Hmm? I thought ... I'm really not familiar with this piece ... and I looked a little closer, and ...

hahahahaha GAY P*RN! It was two men, well, doing what gay men do.

Somebody donated gay p*rn to a charity fundraiser. Classic!


So I'm debating whether or not to put it up for sale (there would be CHILDREN at the sale, dammit! Think about the CHILDREN!), when the VFW bartender came in to get a first shot at the sale. She was trying on halloween costumes and laughing about this and that and generally having a good ol' time, and when she paid for her purchases she gave us a donation.



"Thanks so much!," I said. "Why don't you pick out something else, on the house?"



"Well ...," she said. "I don't know what to pick ..."



And because she just seemed like a gal with a sense of humor, I was all, "You know, we DO have this statue that we don't know what to do with ..."



I showed her the statue, she burst out laughing saying she knew JUST the person to give it to, and left.



I hope that statue now has a happy home, wherever it is.



and I STILL can't believe somebody donated p*rn to a charity sale. Jeez.


3 comments:

Becs said...

I knew a gay guy many years ago who had to change the paintings that decorated the first floor if visited by an innocent non-gay person. True.

fmcgmccllc said...

It was probably donated by some little old lady that did not know her brother was "a little funny" and had bad eyesight.

rockygrace said...

Becs, what did he do when the Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by? Or the neighbors? I'm picturing the doorbell ringing, and him running around throwing sheets over everything ...

and fmcetc., I like that idea! Except I'm thinking that the myopic little old lady found the statue in a box of her late husband's belongings ... "Oh, Fred put all this stuff up in the attic YEARS ago! I'll donate it to the sale ..."

Oh, and ~~Silk, I got that link to work for the Petsmart post - yeah, I can understand where she's coming from. Some of our volunteers are - how shall I put this - a little more zealous than others about trying to find the "perfect" homes for the cats.