Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Things that go bump in the night

About a week ago, a couple of days before Texas arrived, I was awakened by the sound of pots crashing to the kitchen floor.

"Oh, God, raccoon again," I thought, but then I remembered that the pet door was closed, and I went back to sleep. I briefly considered the fact that all of my pots and pans are kept in cupboards and therefore could not have crashed to the floor, but ... meh. It was the middle of the night. Back to sleep.

The next morning I went out to the kitchen to find that something had upended the dish drainer, full of dishes, onto the floor.

Okay, so the way I see it, we've got two possible scenarios, here:

a. One of the cats, for whatever odd reason, hopped up onto the counter and shoved the dish drainer onto the floor. Was there ... a mouse in the dish drainer? Because given what happened when Texas was here, that's plausible. And I can think of no other reason for a cat to suddenly decide to trash the kitchen in the middle of the night.

b. I've got a poltergeist.

I'm telling you right now, it had BETTER be option (a), because I've LIVED in a haunted house before, and I'm NOT going through that again.

3 comments:

~~Silk said...

Maybe both a) and b) - Runt, Little Girl, and Rocky, back to check on you and the new herd, leaving a calling card so you'd know they had visited.

Becs said...

I think it's the cats.

I know about a fairly new house just having a bad vibe. The one my mother and step-father bought was being built as they bought it. Yet there was something about the house that was very creepy, especially in one corner of my room.

My mother became seriously ill and no one realized it until she went off her nut and it was due to a physical reason, a very serious infection. She had spent a lot of time in the family room/basement before she went into the hospital. When she came home, she never sat in that room again.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, I LOVE that idea!

and Becs, I don't believe in the afterlife and I don't believe in ghosts per se, but man, there was SOMETHING in that house. I hate the fact that I'm still having nightmares about it, thirty years down the line.